Valve phono or valve linestage?

Which do you consider more influential in the creation of the purist 'valve' pluses such as....transparency, harmonic richness, three dimensional realism and soundstage?
I lived with a top valve preamp (which included a phono section) for 25 years.
The last 5 years I've had a top SS preamp (including phono section) but have recently re-installed the 'old' valve preamp and can hear the differences.
What I don't know is......which stage is providing the greatest contribution?
128x128halcro
Interesting conundrum. If I recall correctly Harry Pearson from TAS during the "golden age" of audio had a preference for SS phono stages because of the revealing speed and detail.
09-14-12: Halcro
Couldn't agree more Bp......but seeing most tube units I'm interested in are USA made....and usually 'Made to Order'.....and have no representation in Australia......I defy you to find Atmasphere, Vac or Aesthetix preamps to 'trial' at home?

One you didn't mention is the Macintosh C2300.
An all in one tube phono/pre with balanced in/out....and just about every other conceivable feature.
HP (of TAS) was a big fan of the C2300's sound - review here. Great build quality and resale value....and its available in Australia.
I use a 22 tubed phono unit (dead quite!!!) and an SMC VRE1b solid state pre and have been the happiest with the sound in over 35 years!

(Dealer disclaimer)
When I swapped a CJ Premier 10 for my CJ PFR, I was surprise how much more I enjoy listening to records. Yes, the sound is different with CDs and LPs, but there was a qualitative different most apparent in even old rock LPs. I wonder why.

I like both preamps, but it's the result with LPs that convinced me to part with my PFR (so I can upgrade my 40 year old Thorens TD 150 for a VPI Traveler, perhaps). I guess I move slowly.