Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Downunder,

I'm confident that your P3 will keep going...and if it doesn't, it will be easily rectified by Chris Kimil.
Despite the fact that I have to agree with Tommy about the 'risks' involved with TT-101 ownership....it is NOT because of the scarcity of new parts available.
Every chip, transistor, and capacitor for the Victor is procurable.
The problem with the TT-101 is simply its complexity.
I believe there are few risks involved with ownership of any of the other Victor models and there are hundreds of Denon DDs available on the used markets as well as a seemingly endless supply of Yamaha GT-750 DDs from Japan.
I have just brought in a Victor QL-A7 from Japan for my son (who has recently dived into HiFi and vinyl).
Listening to this in my system (with a Signet TK-3Ea/155Lc cartridge) was a sobering experience.
This $600 table literally shamed the belt-drive Raven AC-2 loaded with mega-dollar arms and cartridges.
It also sounded stunningly better than my 'nude' TT-101 and TT-81 Victors (also with their mega-dollar arms).
This salutary experience has caused me to reflect on the wisdom of my 'nude' turntable mounting. The heavy wood plinth of the QL-A7 combined with the four large mildly compliant feet appear to bestow upon the performance, a depth and palette somewhat greater than is extracted with the steel cradle and spiked feet of my 'nude' mounting.
Changes are in the wind....👀
Henry

Good to see you coming over to the Pioneer way of thinking. DD with integrated plinth and more sophisticated suspension as you go up the food chain.

There is also a QL-A75 with 980LZS cart for sale in Sydney - you might want to pick that up

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/88966-fssyd-victor-ql-a75-direct-drive-turntable-with-stanton-980lzs-cartridge-and-100v-stepdown-transformer/

Enjoy
Regards, Halcro: Congratulations on the TT-71. The deck is capable of demonstrating the qualities of alternate mats, have fun! (Nice cartridge / stylus too).

Peace,
Oh yes Professor....
I have already settled on the thin Jico suede mat as a 'delicious' match.
However my son will have to do with the thicker Jico mat...😜
I know you prefer an alternate mat with your TT-71....

Shane...that Victor is twice the price I paid for the QL-A7...which also comes with a 2 year Guarantee from HiFiDo....👍
I also don't recognise that arm whilst the A7 comes with a rather fine Victor arm...🎼
I do think the TT-81 with its bi-directional servo control is potentially better than the TT-71 (or at least as good) so there is no way I am ridding myself of it and the three bronze armpods.
Rather...I need to examine how I can create a cradle with more mass to test whether my theory is correct...?
Halcro, get yourself either a single purpose turntable wall shelf (like the Solid Steel that I use) and spike the turntable to it, or a good stand and an isolation pad like an SRA or Symposium. I would put my naked TT-101 against any plinthed DD and be sure of a favorable outcome.