Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro

Peter and Lew.

Thanks for your interest in my upgrade. It's not really appropriate for me to promote it via this forum. Anyone interested can PM me directly or go to my krebsupgrade web site.

That said, just a small clarification; during the development phase, I didn't actually ruin my MK3, I ruined its performance, necessitating a reversal of the structural change I had just made. This was a real PITA, taking me months to restore it to the previous iteration. I learnt the hard way that theory and practice and two completely different things.

Also there is a run in aspect and an elapsed time aspect. Full performance isn't realised until around 4 months.

cheers.

I shouldn't have written that "no one really knows" the nature of the Krebs mod.  Obviously, Richard and Bill do know.  But they ain't talkin'.

My experience agrees with what Richard wrote about "run in".  As I wrote earlier, the differences were at first subtle and now obvious-er and obvious-er.
I will listen for improvements as I run in the Krebs mods, lewm. I will post my impressions in a month or so. One of the things one gets with the Krebs mod is, in essence, a servicing of a 30+ year-old motor. Additionally, the worn bearing thrust plate is replaced. I had caps replaced by Dave Cawley when I purchased my table from a UK seller 5 years ago, and Bill has now replaced those that Dave didn't. So I have serviced pretty much what can be, and I consider this essential maintenance for the table. Add in a fresh gloss black automotive painting of the deck to match a new plinth, and I have the table looking as good as it plays.
JB, I have a feeling that the results with the Mk2 might be more profoundly positive than even what I am hearing from the Mk3, if only because I think I could hear a low level gray-ish coloration with the Mk2 that is likely to have been fixed by Krebs-izing.  With the Mk3, I did not hear that coloration a priori, but the mod has resulted in a greater sense of fluidity and open-ness, less of a clinical sound, if that metaphor works.

Halcro,

You were right about the Achromat, as least as far as I can tell. 

I seem to have worked out the bugs with the lead sub-mat. Sheet lead is hard to keep flat and acts like a spring if not secured. Carefully trimmed and secured to the platter this is hard to beat.  I use a thin deer
hide on top. 

Taking the 81 in for recapping. 

Still going to try the Kenny resin compound type mixture.

Regards,