Volume Control Too Sensitive

My latest issue:

As some of you may be aware I have a Bryston BP-26 preamp connected to a pair of Classe CAM-200 monoblock amps.

My issue is that I have very little range on my volume knob. If looked at as a clockface, I can only go from 6 to 7 using XLR cables, and 6 to 8 using RCA cables.

Not only is this lack of range annoying using the remote control, but I question if the sound is compromised by the fact that I’m just using such a small portion of the volume knob.

Any thoughts on this?

onehorsepony

I recently purchased a well-reviewed & very powerful headphone amplifier that I have running off my DAC, which outputs 3.0 volts single-ended (50% higher than the nominal 2.0 volts output standard that gave me no gain issues).

Well, between that hot DAC output & the lack of any gain stages on this new amp, I found myself in claasic too-much-gain territory--ie, using the amp's volume pot at the extreme counterclockwise rotation with almost no real-world volume adjustment possible before the volume on headphones became intolerably loud.

So I got a pair of the 10 dB in-line RCA attenuators by Rothwell. These work exactly as described, and are quite transparent sonically: I listened before and after installation (w/approximately matched volumes) and couldn't hear any difference. 

So I recommend these attenuators.

Note that if this were for a huge, expensive 2-channel system in the living room, I might escalate to a pricey passive volume controller known to be uber-transparent. 

I really am enjoying all of these wise ass comments your giving me. I guess it gives you a hardon to insult those with questions. Such brilliant comments such as 'buy a better preamp' FYI, the Bryston BP-26 was rated high by the Absolute Sound magazine. I know magazines have their own agenda, but there is a point where after doing research, you go based on what information you gather.

The input sensitivity of your Class’e amps are 1 volt. That is on the low side. Like I originally suggested all you need to do is add an attenuator. It is no big deal to do that. I use the Schiit SYS to solve the problem that I had with my high gain preamp!

Here are the specs for the Class’e!

Specifications

Power output: 200 watts into 8Ω (mono)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.004%

Gain: 29.02 dB

Input sensitivity: 1V

Signal to noise ratio: 135dB

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω (minimum)

Dimensions: 11.5 x 16 x 9.5 inches

Weight: 48lbs

OP, FWIW,  While you seem happy to be critical of a few who think your Bryston might be one of the sources of your problems (and I think you have more than just one) I don’t see you thanking those who spent time looking into your problems and provided you with good recommendations. And think. No one sent you a bill for their services! A free education.

Next time you should consider hiring a consultant. :-(