VPI Classic 3 vs Basis 2200

Hi,

I currently have a classic 3 with a Dynavector XV1-S, which I'm enjoying but am also open to an upgrade. I was told that the Basis 2200 is a huge step up. Any insights and opinions based on direct experience will be really appreciated.

Cheers
128x128moryoga
LOL! I have had several conversations with A.J., and yes, he is a very good guy. I have always enjoyed our chats immensely, and the fact that I can speak directly with the designer of a product. He is very thorough with his advice. That being said, I always felt like he was trying to sell me something every time I spoke with him, and many times I did buy something from him. I do recall him being very enthusiastic about his Synchro-Wave power supply, I also knew a Basis dealer who was very enthusiastic about the Basis power supply, though I never did buy one. I was quite content with my Walker Audio Motor Controller, but since I never owned the Synchro-Wave, I cannot say for sure if it would have been an improvement or not.

I do recall A.J. once spending 45 minutes raving about his new Microthin Revolution belt, and I did buy one for my 2500 Signature. To be perfectly honest, I did not notice the mind blowing improvement that A.J. had me expecting. Perhaps I would have noticed a difference if my expectations were not so high, who knows?

Anyway, I would just suggest starting off with the Basis table and see how you like it compared to your VPI before going further down the Basis path. If you buy the Basis and enjoy the sound, as many here do, then you can start to think about going further in that direction.
Thank you all again for your thoughtful and insightful feedback. I've purchased the 2200 with a Vector 4 tonearm, isolator base and cable isolation system. I'm buying used so it's being sent to Basis to have them do a once over before I get to hear it and I'm very much looking forward to hearing what it can do.
Good choice. Basis has 2 setup DVDs geared mainly for dealers, but they really teach you how to set the thing up properly. One of AJs design priorities was that the tables were capable of being set up properly by the average enthusiast, which took quite a bit of thought, as you will see. In any case, you should definitely purchase them from Basis. You have a beautiful table and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Now all you need is a cartridge. I would ask AJ what goes well with the Vector.
Congrats Moryoga! Let us know what you think. I have talked extensively in the past with A.J. regarding cartridges, he was pretty non-committal, though I did buy one from him.

Of course that was before he became the North American Importer for My Sonic Lab cartridges. So my guess is that he will recommend MSL cartridges now.
I have a Dynavecto XV1 s that I'm hoping will pair well with the arm, otherwise I'll be out here in a few weeks asking for more advice :)