Well-Tempered Golf Ball?

In this month's TAS they describe the Well-Tempered Amadeus as follows: "tonearm is suspended from fishing line (which I've seen and understand) and damped with a golf ball."

Can someone explain this golf ball? Are we talking a Titleist here or merely something that reminds the author of a golf ball?
grimace
It's quite easy, Lewm, if you can understand it all. The arm isn't the least finicky, and in some ways is quite a departure from the old WT. Firebaugh has made it easier for you, not harder--that's the beauty of it, and it sounds better.
check here.....
At the WTL blog, found through the "Resources" page at welltemperedlab.net:

welltemperedlab.wordpress.com/...

Take care
I wonder if the damping fluid viscosity is critical,
I bet It is. Great idea IMO. I wonder if a thread
(Schroder style) would yield even better results.

Hey what about a Ginko style Base with 4 Golf Balls
to complete the look.
Yes, socoaste, the fluid viscosity should be what Firebaugh recommends--you wouldn't want to float your ball in just anything, now would you?

Could be a nice look, especially if you were Arnold Palmer, otherwise way too hard, I'm afraid. I'd go back to your squashed balls if I were you.
Chashas1, If you are talking about the new WT table, the Amadeus and it's new arm, I have only seen it in photos, so I will take your word for it. My friend's WTT Reference is more than 12 years old, so I do concede that later models may be easier to adjust. Firebaugh is a very clever, innovative man, obviously. He is certainly thinking "outside the box".
HI, Lewm, I totally agree. After having a reference myself, the Amadeus is much much easier to set up, I even did it myself. I haven't done that since the old AR/Premier MMT days, and I've had lots of tables in between.
I like to think Firebaugh thinks "outside the bun"--I hear he's a big fan of sushi.
Hope you get to hear one soon....I think you'll love it.