What headphone amp to buy-Sennheiser HD 600?

Well, thanks to the kindness and patience of my fellow A'gon-izers, the hook-up "problem" for the headphone amp I have is solved. The amp is a Ramsey SHA 1. The phones are Sennheiser HD 600. I had remembered that amp sounding great. Now I'm spoiled by the new speakers I have, and even though the signal path to the amp is thru the Dodson DAC, I still think it sounds........not so great. Decent I suppose, but harsh on the upper end, yet without the mitigating detail, and you know, just.....unsatisfactory.

OK, OK, so here's the question(s): What's a great, fairly cheap (like, at LEAST less than a grand) headphone amp? Sonically, I want EVERYTHING!!!! (Except soundstage, that has never happened for me with any headphones, ever, I'm pretty sure not even with the expensive Stax I heard a few years ago).
It MUST have: Tight, deep, fast, smooth, tonally correct, musical bass, shimmering, non-fatiguing, emminently smooth yet ultra detailed highs, great midbass punch with no boom or softness whatsoever, midrange that is totally natural, smooth, detailed, and lacking any hint whatsoever of grain or electronic amplification artifact in the upper registers. It should sound great on ALL program material, from classical to rock to bluegrass to new age to jazz, anything and everything.

Other than those relatively modest criteria, there are no other performance demands. :)))

So, fire away!
mdhoover
My profound ignorance regarding tubes is becoming increasingly apparent to me. Yikes! This is downright embarrasing! I know nothing about this topic--->NOTHING.
My profound ignorance regarding tubes is becoming increasingly apparent to me.

No call for embarrasment at all. That's pretty much where most of us started. If you've read the responses so far, then at least you know SOMETHING. Besides, with much of the plug-and-play, auto-biasing circuits designed into most headphone amps, preamps, and many power amps, you really don't need to get much beyond Big Bird and Ernie to enjoy what the potential of tubes are in audio gear. Just use the two ears you've got and make your own decisions. Who knows, you may prefer SS...stranger things have happened. Seriously, there's plenty of folks who go that direction. For me tubes, at their best, have an ease and a natural, lifelike presence that SS can only strive for but never quite reaches the same mark. Yet I've heard SS amps I've really enjoyed for what they have to offer that tubes cannot. Or perhaps a hybrid solution that utilizes both tube and SS technology. Go out there and listen. Pick your poison and enjoy the music. Another option is that many of the head amps are available on a short trial period (7-30 days usually) from either manufacturers or dealers. You may be able to get a few and compare in the comfort of your own home. The only drawback there is that the sound may change, either subtley or profoundly, as the circuits burn in with use. Tubes also change after an initial burn-in. So you may be missing out on some aspect of performance without a burn-in period. If you are in a vast metropolis, just find a local dealer who might have some examples and bring your cans and your music. A local audio club may be another option. Or plead here on this forum for other members in your area who may allow you to come listen to their gear. I'd bet you'd find one or two who might be willing, since you are an established member.

Have fun!

Marco
Marco:

Thanks for the advice. There will certainly be a learning curve with this, that's for sure! Duane had me try a tube preamp a little over a year ago on my system that had a B&K ST 140 amp, Paradigm Studio 100 V3's, and the Rel Storm 3. The tube amp was anemic in the bass with that setup, so I returned it. (See footnote) Anyway, I haven't tried tubes since, but will be doing so with these Stax Lamda Pro's, and their associated vacuum tube amp.

FOOTNOTE: It's the ONLY time I can remember Duane not correctly predicting whether I'd like or dislike some audio thing--not a bad track record for Duane, huh? This has been true even for things he didn't personally sell!
Duane sounds like a good friend to have. I had a B&K EX140 which is the dual-mono version of yours. It is most definitely a kinder gentler version of SS with a softness that many folks like to call "tube-like" while still delivering the SS goods (you mention that tighter bass line). There are SS amps that can do all that even better. I'm really enjoying my simple Portal Panache, which puts out the same amount of power. Though I wouldn't call it soft or warm, it is very engaging and enjoyable. So I haven't given up on SS stuff altogether. I've never heard the Stax, but I know they have a reputation of being a very unique headphone. Let us know what you think.

Marco
Md- The 300 sei is a 300b-based, single ended integrated amp with a headphone jack. The 300b output tubes are expensive but it has great midrange and since I mostly listen to acoustic instrumentation and voice, its a good match. The AKGs have a very unique "form factor" that some people cannot abide and which generally are driven straight off speaker outputs of low power amplifiers (4-10wpc) due to their very high impedence.