What is the BEST sound card to use with a MAC G5

I want to build a music server with NON TOSLINK output, so I want the best digital output sound card for my APPLE MAC G5, I intend to import my cd collection in lossless format and I want the best output possible to my DAC, or possible a great sound card that has a DAC built in so I can go direct to my linestage preamp or direct into my power amp.

Any info appreciated.
thekrell
DWR and 4est are both right.

No sound card especially on a Mac. If you insist take a look at the pro audio offerings from Apogee and the like

If you already have a DAC you like, what you will probably need is a USB to SPDIF box - Blue Circle and Hagerman both make them (among others) - so you will come out of the Mac via USB, go to the box, then come from the box to the DAC via SPDIF or Toslink.

FWIW if you get the right Toslink cable (ie Wireworld SuperNova 5) G5 to DAC is great - I ran one into a TriVista for a few years, no complaints.

If you need a DAC, then a USB DAC is the way to go. Take a look at Wavelength Audio, Apogee, Paradisea and too many others to mention. The best units are the ones that go USB into I2S with no SPDIF interim stage.

All very easy and the results are great. Just make sure you check "Error Correction On" in the iTunes preferences.
Myrtle - The Off-Ramp Turbo 2 works the same with Mac. Supports 24/44.1, 24/88.2 and 24/96.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Thanks Steve, then I would recommend the OP look at the Off-Ramp Turbo 2. I have had the Wavelength and the Hagerman equivalents, and they are not remotely comparable soundwise to the Off-Ramp.
Myrtle - I appreciate this feedback as I dont have either one of these to compare for myself.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio