What is Tight Bass?

I’m confused. Speaker size with a large woofer…can it be tight?

is it about efficiency? Amp power? Electrostatic?

128x128moose89

Tight bass relates to timing.

When a Bass note is exercised if it reverberates or cant musically keep up with the song its timing is off and it's called not tight...

You could add "tunefull" and you bring in timbre and definition as well.

But be careful folks.  I tightened the bass so much the treble popped out and broke on the floor!

Well I thought that was funny but it's pretty early on a Saturday morning. 

Anyway, I have 3-series Maggies and those actually pump out beautifully tight bass, but I have found that to get the SPLs I prefer (music always sounded best to me in clubs), I use a swarm of 4 subs - 2 in the 10 inch range and 2 smaller ones.  Primarily RELs that are geared towards music. They are each dialed in such that you don't perceive sound coming from them, but together they subtly control the room SPL while reinforcing the bass from the Maggies. I find this method more all enveloping than the brute force of a single big sub.  Give it a shot! 

Well, I guess my best solution is to buy Forte iv pair, move them around until I get the bass I’m looking for, and get rid of my SVS sub. Rated at 38 on the low end, and from what I understand, these Klipsch speakers are darker than previous Fortes, and move the listener physically if you NEED it… but most enjoyable for most of us, is the detail we get at night, at volume where we actually LISTEN, “tightly”.

Do you not see any live music?  A symphony? A local jazz club, Folk music?  Really any live musical event, even a parade filled with marching bands.  If you haven't, then all the discussion on what tight bass is is frankly a waste of time without the live reference point (s).  The odds of exactly replicating it in a home is next to impossible but once you know what it sounds like, you'll know if you're getting there or not.