What is Your Opinion of Atmos Music?

Most members here have "stereos" for music and "home theater" for movies. Atmos music takes the immersive format that started with movies and uses it for music. It seems Dolby has a series of interviews/tutorials with recording engineers and that is picking up momentum. Personally I listen to immersive music (atmos and surround sound) about 80% of the time and the other 20% I listen to two channel on my desktop system. What is your experience with either Atmos music/spatial audio or using any of the various upmixers (auro-3d, dolby surround, etc) for immersive music listening?

kota1

@donavabdear ​​​​@brianlucey 

You might like:

Upcoming Events for Engineers and Professionals who want to learn more about Atmos Music:

Producing in Atmos workshop:

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/1146420520915394135

Dolby Atmos Music at NAMM 2022

A tour of the Atmos studio at Sweetwater. FWIW I got my Black Lion power conditioner and Auralex Sustain diffusors at Sweetwater and got great deals and support. In the video they are using 9 bed channels and IMO the wide channels are very important and use a 9.2.7 setup personally:

@kota1 I have been trying to set up my atmos system for a movie in a few months and have been getting frustrated because it is still a moving target. No standard really but at the same time maybe that will release a lot of creativity. So far I've really been unimpressed with atmos music mixes with a few exceptions, seems like when they sound like good stereo they are better. I know the future is atmos it doesn't matter if we have 2 ears our brains interpret sound constantly, emotion is really the final goal walking down a path with headphones that make you shiver because you felt something come at you from behind is the emotional content that will be the future. Stereo people often talk about soundstage and depth with reverence, well atmos is a format that lives there, my hope is that the format isn't perverted so much that it becomes cheesy, I do feel like it's getting a bad start like @brianlucey said so far the quality has been pretty bad in music, movies have taken to atmos very well, but like when stereo came in it was used poorly, I hope creative adults in the room (maybe AES or SEMPTE) will set some good guidelines about mixing atmos.

@donavabdear , Atmos has competition from Sony 360, THX has an immersive codec, Sennheiser has Ambeo, and Xperia has DTS-X. I don’t think AES can be brand specific without causing a controversy. All you need is to go visit some studios and get a feel for it. The Dubstage is local, I think @brianlucey has extended an invitation in the other thread. There are online classes sponsored by Dolby and I am sure local stuff in LA. If I were in LA I would make a beeline to the Dubstage but you likely already have friends in the "mix" so to speak. You learn by doing and it looks like a blast from the videos I watch. What do you think?

@kota1 You've made a good point but Atmos seems to be what the stadios are falling over themselves putting in. I say the first display of Atmos many years ago touting object based mixing, I didn't take it seriously but if you think about it that's the answer because it can translate to only a few speakers and that's how your brain works anyway. Pan pots between 2 sources really don't make sense describing something in nature. Seems you are the expert at sound codecs, I don't know of any others that are in the race for me. What are some of the strengths of the other formats over Atmos?