What would you buy Sub $350 Firewire/USB DAC

Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I have a pair of B&W DM 610s with a Music Fidelity B1 amplifier. My old ADC CD player is slowly passing away, and I've been thinking of using my IBM X61 laptop as an audio source.

Here is a short list that I'm considering, and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Best,

Music Prof.

StyleAudio Carat-HD1V
Styleaudio Peridot USB DAC
Fubar III
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC04 USB DAC
Blue Circle USB
AudioSector USB NOS DAC
Apogee Mini-DAC w/USB option
Peter Daniel NOS USB DAC
DacMagic Digital to Analogue Converter
Peter Daniel USB DAC
KECES 151 USB DAC
KECES DA-131 USB DAC
Vintage Audio Lab DAC
Squeezebox classic
Musiland MD 10 Bit Select USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
Yulong DAH 1 USB DAC
music_prof
With the Cambridge it seems as though you will be paying for an awful lot of marketing and a large number of features you most likely will never use...
@Ckorody--

I have given that a good deal of thought. My HK CD player has a digital out, so if I purchased the Cambridge Audio DAC, it could serve a dual purpose. On the other hand, it seems improbable that the CA DAC could be as good as the Scott Nixon given all of the extra features at roughly the same price point, unless, of course, they can buy and build at a discount because of volume.

The CA DAC has received very good reviews, and I am eagerly awaiting reviews of Nixon's new DACs.

Best,

MP

I've finally decided....

I'm going to go with the Cambridge Audio dacMagic. It has received favourable reviews, and I'll be able to use it with both my PC and with my HK CD player.

Any recommendations for a budget RCA/RCA digital cable?

Best,

MP
Congrats on your choice!

Two budget cables and a step up from budget.

Budget: Apogee Wyde Eye, Canare L-5CFB
Step Up: VH Audio cryo Pulsar

No matter which cable you choose, get a 1.5-meter length of it. This will ensure that signal reflections between the two cable ends interfere as little as possible with the DAC's clock timing.

BTW others may recommend other cables; I'm only recommending things I've personally tried.
Thank you for your input Tobias.

I can purchase the Canare cable for next to nothing ($14.50 US):

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/shopbycable/L5CFB.htm

Given how modest my system is, I think that the dacMagic and and Canare should do what I need it to. My understanding is that any good USB cable should be fine.

My birthday is February 1, and my wonderful wife already has the dacMagic on order to make certain that it arrives on time.

Thanks again,

MP