why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
@willemj

Good link to a knowledgeable person. However you don’t need any degrees or specialized training to know that “special audio cables” are and always will be a scam.

The reason cables get promoted here over real improvememts is the profit margins are huge and years of effort have gone in to brain washing audiofools to become faithful acolytes. The true benefits of special wires are HUGE in $$$$$ of profit and some self satisfaction from the proud owners - a pity they do absolutely nothing for the audio except what people choose to imagine they can hear.
Post removed 
Goeff said:

Even what’s his name knows what an Appeal to Authority is, which frankly is kind of shocking

"What's his name?"  Geoff....if you cannot remember my handle, please address me as Mister or Sir.
We often see this sort of thing, you know, people who are over educated in certain areas but who can’t see the forest for the trees. Since I actually didn’t read any of Mr. Self’s Cable screed what exactly was his reason for saying cables aren’t directional? Or was it some sort of gut feeling?
Post removed