Why is the price of new tonearms so high

Im wondering why the price of new tonearms are so high, around $12k to $15k when older very good arms can be bought at half or less?
perrew
Dear perrew, yes, both- the big Jensen as well as the better Lundahls - do outperform the XF-1 in terms of resolution, openess, transients, low level detail and soundstage dimensions to name but a few.
The Cotter is the peer of teh XF-1.
Most important if you do test any old transformer is to make sure the contact are all cleaned and I would always suggest replacing the standard brass RCA plugs with WBT Ag or Eichmann Ag.
Now, let's maybe try do a little 1-set LP check and see what will come of it?

Alison Krauss & Union Station 'so long so wrong'
Who does NOT experience sibilants on side two, last (3rd) cut. And then share your 'hardware', not just your tonearm, or?

This LP is being used on another thread with one contributor trying his truly VERY best, pictures of set-up, audio files, the works, to get it right.
See: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1245595534
It could be anything hardware, including resonances / bad arm/cart match?

So before we go to 20 LPs, how about just 1 LP to get an idea?
The album is newly available and very well recorded otherwise.

Axel
Hi Axel, do you think you would have judged the proposal of a common ground based on a selction of records agreed upon in the very same way you did if it had come from anybody else but me ?
This is of course just a hypothetical question to further illustrate the impression, that whatever I come up with will be judged and valued by some here as coming straight from the source of all evil with every possible bad intend imagineable in mind.
Tell me I am wrong....?
Cheers,
D.
D. :-)
>>> Tell me I am wrong....? <<< YOU ARE! (Not again!)
Just read my next post, if they finally get it on.
Nothing EVIL, at all.
A.
So D. for the final piece of the puzzle what phono stage do you use with the FR-7f? Thanks Pär