Xfinity DNS and Roon

I have had problems in the past when streaming through Roon with skips and interruptions in music using Xfinity fiber optic service.  The Roon community monitor suggested that I change to a third party DNS such as Google.  My router is an Arris X5001.    I have tried to change the DNS on the router and the option is greyed out.  Trying to get a competent human to discuss my issue is impossible.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change DNS using Xfinity service?  Would a separate internet service just for HiFi be beneficial?

Thanks

wlp3

I have XFinity service and use a Netgear Orbi router. The DNS option has a selection for - Obtain DNS settings from ISP or - Use these DNS servers.  When I select the second option the boxes for setting the DNS server addresses are enabled.  I use:

These are the Cloudflare DNS servers.  That coupled with a VPN and Xfinity can't see what I'm doing.

Thanks.  So it doesn’t seem that it is not allowed by Xfinity them.  Just wondering if it is locked on this particular router.  It is fiber optic but I wouldn’t think that would matter.

You are using THEIR equipment, right? It is locked to them. Why I don't use their equipment. I really dislike comcast because of that.