XLR Pinouts on Thorens TD1601

Looking for technical data on the Thorens TD-1601 XLR pinouts, and also have questions about phase.

I use a Accuphase E-380 Integrated Amp where the XLR inputs use the "European" standard of: 1=GND 2=COLD 3=HOT. FYI: The so-called "American" standard is 1=GND 2=HOT 3=COLD.

I cannot find pinout diagram in the Thorens manual or elsewhere. The turntable was purchased from Thoman Music and shipped to me from Germany, if that makes a difference.

The connection passes through a Schitt Skoll Phono Preamp, XLR balanced on both sides, which uses "American" 1=GND, 2=HOT 3=COLD. NOTE: Different than the Accuphase Integrated.

1. QUESTION: Can anyone tell me the XLR pinouts of the Thorens TD-1601?
  2. QUESTION: Two scenarios below:
  • A) If the TT uses the same European standard as the Accuphase Interated, is it OK to let it pass through the Schitt pre in that manner? Assume so, right?
  • B) If the TT uses the opposite standard as the Accuphase Integrated, I assume I would need to alter one end of both cables. Would it be best to alter them between the Thorens TT and the Schitt Pre OR between the Schitt Pre and the Accuphase Integrated? But not both, right?

I am hoping this thread does not devolve into a discussion of European vs American nomenclature, or why these differences came to be. I just want to hook up my Schitt correctly. 😁

Thanks.

gemoody

It's not "hot" and "cold".  It's positive and negative.  You correctly understand the problem, so the question is how to identify the positive phase signal (or the negative phase signal, for that matter).  But it actually does not matter. The worst that can happen is the signal polarity will be reversed, if you guess wrong.  That may actually be a good thing, or a not so good thing. Play it by ear. Ground is pin1 in either case.

1. QUESTION: Can anyone tell me the XLR pinouts of the Thorens TD-1601?

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Thorens would use the "American" standard (1=GND =HOT 3=COLD) since it comes from Germany. However, this can be easily confirmed by asking Thorens or using a digital multimeter for continuity testing.

1. QUESTION: Two scenarios below:
  • A) If the TT uses the same European standard as the Accuphase Interated, is it OK to let it pass through the Schitt pre in that manner? Assume so, right?

Yes, no need to change any connection.

• B) If the TT uses the opposite standard as the Accuphase Integrated, I assume I would need to alter one end of both cables. Would it be best to alter them between the Thorens TT and the Schitt Pre OR between the Schitt Pre and the Accuphase Integrated? But not both, right?

Again, no need to change any connection, just simply switch the PHASE button to "invert" on the front panel of the Accuphase E-380.

Thx @imhififan, good info.   I’ll keep trying to get the pin out on the turntable.

If the turntable use a the “American“ standard, and I did not want to engage the phase button, I would need to rewire the XLR‘s, meaning swap, hot and cold on one end for both cables, right?