3D imaging

I I started thinking about this yesterday. What makes speakers produce a 3D image? I figured the first thing is the recording itself. I'm guessing mic placement has a lot to do with this. Next I would imagine is room,and speaker placement. Downstream gear certainly has to have some effect on this. Does the crossover have something to do with providing this "illusion " for lack of a better term? 
     Now please understand,I don't have anywhere near the technical knowledge a lot of you folks have,so as you explain this phenomenon,please dumb it down for me! 
    Thanks in advance,
        Ray
128x128rocray
And unless you are listening in the near field, the room matters a lot.... a mix of absorption and diffraction are key ....
I just put the Chartwells back in the system. They are 6'9" apart. My seating position puts me 7' from each speaker.(triangle) I guess that puts me in the near field camp? I'm ok with taking some of the room out of the equation.

millercarbon and tomic601, Thanks for taking the time in answering theses questions and help me get a better grasp on what my ears(brain) hear. Am I far off the track in stating that audio or should I say"better" audio is partly based on manipulating the brain? 
With respect to the Chartwells my guess is that you will get a better soundstage by moving the speakers closer together, making them 5 feet apart, even less perhaps, with no toe-in. Most speakers are set too far apart. 
I do have these with no toe in,so let's give it a whirl moving them closer together. I'll report back with my results.
@tomic601 : Transient Intermodulation Distortion - applies only to amplifier distortion!