450 Pound Monobloc Amplifier

The Boulder 3050 monobloc weighs 450 pounds, 1500 wpc.

A pair of monoblocs weighing right at a half-ton...amazing.

The Pass Labs XS 300 monobloc weighs 300 pounds, 300 wpc.

With all of the advances in amplifier design, does an amp really have to be that big to get the results they're after?

The 1500 wpc D-Sonic monobloc weigh 12 pounds...I love it!
128x128mitch4t
Wow , thats heavier than some safety box. But the most important thing is...Does it sounds good? or just looks good?
@ mapman,I really do not know eanything about class D amps,If they do sound good and are cheaper,of course I will jump on the band wagon!,can eanybody name brands of class d amps that actually sound good that I can audition?,mapman,thanks for understanding that I do not want an investment to go south because the technology came and went!cheers!
Lab,

I can comfortably say that Class D amps can sound "good". The ones I use sound as close to perfection as pretty much anything I have ever had expectation to possibly own. And they are alredy one or two generations removed from most recent products. That the Bel Canto ref1000m amps are still a current offering in their product line after several years says something about their viability.

The question is always what works best for and sounds best to an individual. Personal tastes and preferences make all the difference there and there are many flavors of quality products to choose from. Class D will not change that, though I suspect their popularity and application will only continue to grow and even accelerate over time as they become more widely accepted for sound quality as well as the other more unique benefits.
Mapman; No I haven't heard any class D amps with my Martin Logans. I would be very interested in hearing some. If Jeff Rowland amps are Class D, then I know he did it right. Switching power supplies are not new. They were/are used in auto amps because the voltage was 12VDC and to get the power needed without large current, you had to increase the voltage. P=IV=VxV/R=IxIxR. So, if for a auto amp you wanted 100 Watts, then 100=IxV and therefore, I=100/12 = 8.33 amps. Thats it! So to get stupidly high power out of auto amps, you need to step up the voltage to keep the current low and still produce high power. this eliminated large heavy transformers and storage capacitors. But, the drawback was that the switching power supplies generated a lot of noise that had to be filtered and this was really difficult to do. For home amps, the process is the same. They probably use switching power supplies with lots of large power transistors to eliminate the need for very heavy and expensive transformers. Otherwise, I can't see a reason to do this. You only need large heat sinks if you are operating in real class A. I.e. output devices biased on all the time at rated output power. That takes lots of amps and makes heat that must be dissipated. So, Class D, is to get the voltage up to a high level so that the current will be lower and to eliminate the large expensive transformers and storage capacitors. This is off the top of my head. As long as the power ratings at load along the frequency range is as advertised, I really see no difference. power is power. Either by high voltage and low current or low voltage and high current. But to drive say, 8 ohm speakers, then you need current for power. remember P = IxIxR. or lots of voltage gain for the outputs instead. P= VxV/R.