78's through the system

I am simultaneously considering ways to upgrade my phono setup, and be able to play 78's on the big rig for the first time. I own a mid-80's Technics SL-1200 with a Benz-Micro Glider M2 going though a conrad-johnson PV-8 w/phono. The first thing to address is either modifying the TT to play 78rpm, or preferrably upgrading to a better TT that can do 78rpm. I have seen that Michell can supply a 78-capable pulley for the Gyrodec, but other suggestions would be welcome. Then I need a tonearm with a removable headshell, and I'm thinking SME, again suggestions helpful. I have no idea what 78 cartridge to look for (I'll keep the Glider for 33/45). And lastly, how imortant will it be to only have RIAA EQ available to me, or will I need to do something in the phono preamp area about that? My entire budget for this project is $3,000 max, whether I go new or used.
zaikesman

Showing 1 response by alfredforkel8644

"We are all opinonated".
Although listening to music really is a matter of personal taste, I would like to tell you about my positive experiences with 78s.
You can indeed get many good (used and new) turntables with 78rpm ( DUAL, Thorens, etc.).
I use a cheap Shure M78S cartridge and it sounds better (!) than the Shure V15VXMR, which I also tried with an 78rpm stylus.
I use my normal RIAA phonostage, but with an input (load) impedance of only 500 Ohms (of course you can try 1000 Ohms or more). For me 500 Ohms makes a very natural treble and midrange, but boosts the bass. To compensate for this, you can either simply use the tone controls (if you have them) of your amplifier, or you use the Esoteric Research "Re-Equalizer". Try it with any classical piano solo or violin shellac, and maybe you are as convinced, as I am.
Happy listening!
Alfred from Luebeck (Germany)