Add a Subwoofer to my Vandersteen 1ce s or replace with Revel Concerta2 F36

Hey Audiogon community,
    Perhaps you guy can help here. I have a VPI Scout with Sound Smith Zephyr III Cartridge running into a Musical Fidelity v-LPS that runs into a NAD VISO 5 Receiver and back out to a pair of Vandersteen 1ce's. Since I recently bought the Zephyr III, it revealed some inadequacies, and I am in upgrade mode. My audio advisor from Brooks Berdan suggested I start with the speakers. Mind you, I Love my Vandersteens but wish there was deeper bass realism. I have been listening to the Revel concerta2 F36  recently with a Cronus Magnus powering them via some entry level Oracle turntable. I like the F36 a lot, and feel like they would give me more full range dynamics especially on the low end. I am looking at upgrading to the Rogue Cronus Magnus soon as well. And am hoping that upgrading to the F36 is the smarter choice than adding a sub that would seamlessly integrate. Any thought would be appreciated. Thank you.
voodooman13
voodooman13,

You have some really nice audio equipment, with one glaring exception. The NAD Miso 5 is a lifestyle 5.1 channel home-theater in a box. It is good quality, for what it is. But it is not of the same relative sound quality of the other hardware in your system and it would be the obvious first choice for replacement. Based on your initial post, I don't see a need for 5.1 HT as you only list 2 speakers (the Vandersteens). If this is the case, you should replace the NAD first, even if you ultimately decide to replace the Vandersteens or add a sub. You NEED quality amplification going forward, and you don't have it currently.

Regarding the muddy/distorted sound you are hearing now, it is likely not the Vandersteen speakers causing this. My guess is that the amplifier is running out of juice, or you have a setup problem with the TT. There would be the more likely causes of muddy/distorted sound.

Hey, it's your money and you can do what you want with it. But if you are trying to get audiophile sound from your system, and you have all audiophile level kit, with one glaring exception, you should probably address that exception first. That exception is the NAD HT/HTIB/lifestyle unit.

Good luck in your quest.
Post removed 
The Vandy 1CE is a 2 way and I owned a pair of 1Bs for years…great speaker and with the transmission line loaded 8" woofer those things can get down, so to speak. Also the advantage of the small baffle in there seems to work along with the simplicity of a good 2 way. Tube amps generally simply sound better than SS in my opinion, and I also think there is more "bang for the buck" in tubes as a moderately priced great sounding tube amp can be a better value (Rogue, the Jolida 502P I own, Prima Luna, etc.)…great SS amps are often relatively more expensive. I also suggest REL subs frequently as nice clean ones can be found inexpensively used (my Q150e and Q108e MK II were 200 bucks each and essentially perfect), and most models have all the adjustment you need…level, crossover, phase, etc., and you use the speaker outs for hookup. If you go for a tube amp maybe look for one with at least both 8 and 4 ohm outputs for compatibility with more speakers.
" Well, you're talking about making some major changes in both electronics and speakers. This seems unlikely to yield the best results."
If you don't change something in the system there won't be any results, good or bad.

" I'm a big fan of subwoofers. They offer advantages that no floor standing speaker can -- placement options. However, the Vandersteen subwoofer approach has several constraints. There are constraints on the electronics when using the Vandy system. There are placement constraints of the sub(s) when using the Vandy system. There are constraints on the bass performance of the main speakers when using the Vandy system. The Vandy sub design is specifically designed for Vandy speakers -- the constraints of using first order filters."

That's not even close to being true, and you know it. Show me where it says Vandersteen subs are specifically designed for Vandy speakers. The owners manual clearly states you can use the subs with a wide variety of products besides as well.

As for placement and first order concerns, its just the opposite. The real issue here is that you have an Ax to grind with Vandersteen. I've read some of your other posts where you were arguing with John from AC, and some of the others. You were trying to push your version of the facts, and got upset when you were proven wrong. Now, every time I see you comment on Vandersteen products, its always negative combines with false info.

I'm sure when you read this, you'll have no idea what I'm talking about. 
Being a Vandy fanboy, I am hardly impartial, but I, too, would opt to keep the 1ce's and get a pair of 2w or 2wq's in a perfect world (though you would need a pair of M5-HP crossovers or a pair of fixed crossovers matched to your amp).
REL is a good alternative, so is HSU, and they are very reasonably priced.-maybe a temporary fix until you can get a pair of Vandy subs.
John Rutan of Audioconnection would be a great guy to get honest information regarding the upgrades you are considering. 
PM him, his Agon ID is Audioconnection.
B