After nearly 20 years, I left Magnepan and went ProAc

Listened to proac d48r's a few weeks ago and fell in love at first listen. After a couple of days I got my wife to sign my "permission slip" and took the plunge and they now reside where my 1.6 once stood.  You see, I've never heard a speaker literally mesmerize me and engage me like this before.  Sure the Maggie's have a huge image and soundstage and transparency, but these Proacs simply sound more like a real event, with dynamics and palpability, with a more refined and true sound.  The images are much more dense.   

I only have 48 hours on them so they are nowhere near their final voice, but they are breaking in nicely.  The manual says they require a lengthy break in.  I pulled out my old marantz cd-5000 to do the break in honors and will run these straight for a week or two and then taper off with normal listening.   

One thing I dont care for are the spikes. They have these little slits that aid in tightening, but no tool to go around them, so I can't get a good tightening with just my fingers.......so the spikes jiggle.  When I check  I can hear the spike and lock but chatter, and   this is not helping my  stability or sound.  Any sugesstions to tighten them right would be helpful. Thanks.  Cheers to a new chapter!   Wanted to share my excitement with you.  So grateful and never thought I would have speakers like This.  It feels like a dream!

audiolover718
There is no way I can be convinced that a Proac speaker would sound more immediate than a well setup Magnepan. I owned 2 Proac speakers and they are very good, great detail, imaging, soundstaging, etc. But as properly setup large Magnepan on the correct electronics is totally on another level. I do not feel you had found the right amp for your particular model Magnepan. 
 "milpai ...have you moved your D40Rs to a larger room? I keep visiting your system page and ogle at those speakers. How is the bass in that room? "

@milpai

Thanks for the kind words. They have been in the same room since I bought them. The one thing I did that really improved the bass was replacing my Quicksilver V-4 amps with an Aesthetix Atlas amplifier. The bass is controlled and natural sounding with power when it is in the music. A bigger room would be better, but not possible for me. I do have a dedicated room so that is a plus.

Best Regards,

Jim Perry
Hey Low Tubes
 I love Magies as well but
Have you even experienced the Proac D 48 R with Ribbon Tweets
 Yes
 No
Simple answer
I have the ProAc K6's and they are amazing!  On mine there is a pairing of a nut and spike.  The nut is used to secure the spike by tightening it against the base with tension against the thread of the spike.  That permits adjustment on all four corners and securely holds each spike in place (no rattling or movement)  That set up works great.