Alternative mat for SME turntable

Hello, I have an SME 10 turntable, I was wondering if anyone out there has ever experimented with other mats instead of the delicate one that is placed on the platter of the SME tables. I tried an origin live mat and don’t think it worked very well, made the sound less clear. I know there was another thread several years ago regarding this same issue but no one ever answered the question.
nlakoumentas
I have used a Boston Audio Mat2 on several different types of turntables, always with good results.  There is no "best" mat; it's a matter of taste and perception.
Buy a Reso-Mat, raise your records on acetate spikes above platter´s surface and let your records breathe ; )
Hello snackeyp

The material on the SME platter is quite delicate and even the washer for clamp leaves a mark over time, stain it a little and that is it, it becomes permanent.  Was just thinking out loud I could find an alternative mat that would improve the sound and protect the delicate platter mat.  So far though whatever I have tried has yielded no results.  I will look into what others have suggested here but was curious if any SME owners had experimented.   
Nlakoumentas, I hear what you are saying about the delicate nature of the SME mat.  I somehow scuffed mine and have no recollection how it happened.  
I received a mesh-like mat with a previous Clearaudio TT I owned and still have it.  I might try it as a means of protecting the SME.  It's very thin so I might not even have to raise the tonearm to accommodate the extra thickness.  As for the sound quality of the SME TT, I have not wanted to change the mat, but protecting it has become a concern.  Good luck in your quest.
Thanks snackeyp the sound with the sme mat isn’t very good, so far anything else seems to dull the sound, I do have an Oyaide BR-one mat, very thin, will give that a go. My platter has a mark on the side from the previous owner, sending it to SME to have it refinished is quite expensive hence the reason I ask. The other alternative is to buy a second new platter as a backup as I this table is a keeper as far as I am concerned. But it would be nice to be able to protect the delicate surface.