Amplifier Power tubes - important to sound?

i replaced all the small tubes on my mono amplifiers and now I'm left with replacing the stock Power tubes, kt88.

I like what I hear with 12 new small tubes - telefunken nos 12ax7 and 12at7. 

Now I am left with replacing 16 kt88 stock JJ tubes.   will Probably use Siemens 6550 nos.

How much will this impact what I hear do you think?  I recall hearing that power tubes don't make that much of a difference.

emergingsoul

Right out of the Mc 901 manual:  

The MC901 will function optimally with any correct tube type that is functioning within the design specifications of the MC901. Only when a Tube falls outside of the acceptable range will any diminishing of performance be heard. Because McIntosh Tube Amplifiers are engineered to use Tubes in a way that does not rely on the Tube’s individual character and can perform perfectly provided the specifications are met, there is no advantage to seeking out expensive esoteric tubes.

"Because McIntosh Tube Amplifiers are engineered to use Tubes in a way that does not rely on the Tube’s individual character and can perform perfectly provided the specifications are met, there is no advantage to seeking out expensive esoteric tubes"

I don't have these amps but he already stated that he changed the signal tubes and the sound improved , aka the character of the tubes came through, so why wouldn’t that also occur with the power tubes? I’m not aware of any tube amp, or other tube component where the character of the tubes doesn’t come through. I presently have 3 tube integrated amps, had a couple of others previously, and have a tube DAC  whether it's the signal tubes, power tubes or rectifiers they all impact the sound in the respective  sound. All their statement reads to me is marketing hype.

Or a way to justify them installing mediocre tubes with their amplifiers. Somehow commentary in manual does them less good service because having the ability to modify sound using different tubes is an important feature and why someone buys a tube amplifier.

What did they do that prevents a tube character from coming through? Is this a good thing?

Well that is a perplexing concept… engineered in a way to prevent the tube character coming through. The only way I can think of doing that is to just power them but not put them in the audio circuitry… so, make them for show only. 

I've heard that before - various incarnations of "rolling tubes in this slot won't affect the sound", because "they're cathode followers with 100% feedback" etc. Still haven't met a slot that doesn't affect the sound. It's directly in the audio path.

You can have components that are "voiced" for the specific tubes it ships with. Sometimes components have a strong voicing on their own. In these cases, tube rolling may not readily yield satisfying results - but it WILL affect the sound. Always. Now is it a useful endeavor; a good use of time & money? That's for you to decide.

It's not surprising some manufacturers would discourage rolling. When you owe warranty support on these heavy, complex amps - do you really want users rolling them with power tubes willy-nilly, from unknown sources and questionable matching? Plus they may sell their own branded (labeled) replacement tubes, at healthy markup.