Anthem STR "Convert Analog" sounds much worse

I've spent all afternoon playing around with different settings with subs etc.  On this preamp, there's a setting to "Convert Analog".. This allows you to use the ARC and subwoofer outputs - hence you get to use the internal crossover, phase etc for the subs.. Really nice feature.  I'm not even using ARC yet...

But, I noticed a significant improvement in quality and dynamics with it OFF, allowing my Lumin T2 to flow straight through the Anthem.  It's louder by probably 3db too (not measured).  

I have not heard of any audiophiles more picky than me mentioning this. 

I've asked this question before about connecting the Lumin T2 this way... Am I negating any T2 dac magic by sending it through the Anthem's dac engine?  I was told NO.  But it sure sounds like it now!

Again, I'm not using ARC yet, maybe that's where I'll hear a significant improvement but as for now, I like running my subs from the preouts (giving me no xover so speakers play full bandwidth).  

Anyone in dallas want to come teach me more about  this?
dtximages
If you're using analog out on the Lumin connecting to analog in on the STR and selecting convert analog you are in essence not using the DAC on the Lumin as the STR is converting the analog signal to digital then converting back to analog. Try connecting a digital out on the Lumin to digital in on the STR and see how it sounds. The best thing to do is run ARC as it will integrate the subs better.
@djones51 thanks... I kinda suspected that and mentioned it on another board and people told me it's "not exactly totally really like that" that I was still getting the goodness of the Lumin dac, but I really didn't see how that was since the Anthem was unconverting then reconverting it back to digital.. I'm really hearing the Anthem's dac signature more than anything.

I'll try to do an a/b test running xlr and usb (Lumins dac vs anthems dac) when I can.

I was really surprised that just this setting would make such a noticeable difference.  
Even using a crossover in the Anthem your speakers still play down to their limit. It's not like you're setting a cliff where everything below the crossover point goes to the subs it gradually reduces dB along a slope at the crossover frequency. In order to figure out if your investment in room correction is worth it is to try it. The AKM DAC in the STR is pretty good in order to see what it can do try connecting the server and integrate the subs through ARC. 
@djones51   wait what?  I thought setting the crossover in the Anthem created a high pass or low pass whatever for the mains... i.e. setting the xover at 50hz sends nothing below 50hz to my main speakers.. No?  So using the subwoofer management on my Anthem still sends full range to my speakers?
I’ve asked this question before about connecting the Lumin T2 this way... Am I negating any T2 dac magic by sending it through the Anthem’s dac engine? I was told NO. But it sure sounds like it now!

Yep, you are. Either use the Anthem’s DAC, or use the pure analog pathway for the purest signals. Otherwise you are going back and fort from digital to analog to digital to analog.