Any audiophile use computer (MacBook) as your audio streaming source?

I rarely see any audiophile talking about streaming audio digital sources from a computer. I understand MacBook can accept native lossless formats form all the various platforms, and it can store unlimited music files in any format, so supposedly it’s the best source, and the digital file is the most purest before it’s fed to the dac. Anyone compared the sound quality of computer vs other audio streamer? 

randywong

And people are concerned about the high price for dedicated "audiophile" streamers? Geez.

@mclinnguy I don’t disagree with your point. This PC example was meant to be anecdotal and not a recommendation. In fact, you could build a very similar machine around a HD Plex case for probably $3-4K.

At the upper end of the price spectrum, according to this exhaustive review, the revered Taiko Extreme streamer is built around a Asus WS C621E server board and a pair of Intel Xeons running Windows. Taiko’s website does not try to hide the fact that the Extreme is a PC, so thumbs up to them for showing an honesty and openness that are often too rare in this industry.

The Extreme is an exquisitely well crafted machine (unlike many sub-$15K streamers that look like low-cost Chinese power supplies with front panels inscribed in goofy fonts). I certainly would not criticize an audiophile for spending $30,000 on a Taiko Extreme; I would probably own one myself if I were at a stage of my audio journey where it makes sense to spend that kind of money on a component.

Artistry, design and craftsmanship usually come a distant second, if at all, in Hi-Fi discussions, but sometimes they serve to make a price that would otherwise seem absurd, palatable.

The benefits I appreciate from a DDC are galvanic isolation, multiple output choices to my DACs, and lower jitter.  I have owned the Hermes and now the SU-6, and I am curious what criteria you believe makes one DDC SOTA and others not? Not arguing, just curious.

@mitch2  Yeah, I agree as to the benefits of a good DDC.  Frankly I’m surprised you prefer the SU-6 to the Hermes as the latter uses an OCXO clock that I’m not sure the Singxer does, but I could be wrong and there’s also the Gaia that ups parts quality even further, hence my assumption that the SU-6 isn’t SOTA but I could be wrong.  BTW, I own a Singxer SA-1 headphone amp and love it so I’m a pretty big Singxer fan outta the box.  Regardless, @lanx0003 trying to tell me I don’t hear the benefits I clearly hear with my Iris because he has some measurements is totally bogus to me.  I trust my ears, as I believe you do too with your excellent DAC reviews, so the measurements-above-all crowd doesn’t compute with me (pun intended) and I feel sorry for them that they need numbers to tell them what apparently their ears can’t.  But that’s me. 

I also stream with Mac Book Pro, but also

have some of my CD collection loaded

on Mac Book Pro has a CD Drive.