Anyone listen to Zu Audio's Definition Mk3?

Comparisons with the 1.5s and the others that came before? Getting the itch; again......
128x128warrenh
Charles, you can add Hovland gear to the list of that prove that the Zu's are amp friendly. My HP200 tube pre and Radia ss pow have a great synergy with the 2s and I am more confident by the day this will be the case with the 4s.
I'm of the opinion that this overheated discussion of what makes and doesn't make the perfect amp for the Zu's is a little redundant.
Spirit,
You are correct,I was`nt trying to divert the topic of this thread. It was phil`s in depth and captivating description of the DEF IV that caught my eye. He has commented on other components in the past that I happen to know well and his impressions were dead on the mark IMO. So I tend to pay attention when I come across his posts.

His viewpoint on the current direction and sound of(most) 'high end' components is near identical to my own thoughts formed over the past 20 years.
Regards,
I always find the path one has charted in this hobby (as well as the associated knowledge and relationships) to be illuminating.

Agreed. The "journey" is typically shockingly haphazard and fickle despite the measured, anal retentive, retrospective analysis that gets thrown around on these threads. We are not the captains of our own audio ships. If I had snagged the Kronzilla or Solista, I would probably be flapping my gums on another thread about how it was the answer to everyone's prayers....lol.

I am curious about the NCore from Hypex…read one of their white papers and, although over my head technically, was interesting nonetheless. There seems to be enthusiasm, if not true potential, in the class D approach. Consider me a casually interested bystander at the moment though.

Color me an interested bystander as well. The specs are stunning. It "appears" as if class D has arrived. If you follow the US tour thread on AC, there is a lot of enthusiasm, but time will tell. I am skeptical due to my past experiments with class D (Hypex, classD, etc) on high efficiency speakers (Emerald Physics). It sounded pristine but the soundstage was slightly flat and cardboard sounding. That was even with a tubed pre-amp. You find that many class D devotees stress the need to a tubed pre-amp. I would be very interested to hear how the NCOREs did on the IVs or any Zu speakers for that matter.

....power and room issues being essential to get a good sound, after all it is the foundation (power) and enviroment (room acoustics) that the gear is constrained by.

That is what I have bumbled into. I did an experiment with a Topaz isolation transformer, and the results, in a crappy, unfinished basement with no dedicated lines, etc were NOT subtle. I have read or been told that ITs can limit dynamics and can have a sound of their own. Here is a little blurb from Pure Powers website:

"Q. Won't an isolation transformer make a new clean power supply?
A: Expensive isolation transformers can be used to create a new “clean” ground at the point of use and this will fix a common mode noise problem – but at a high cost and a risk of dampening audio system dynamics. It will not correct voltage sags or spikes. It is better, and cheaper, to run new, uninterrupted wiring from the service entrance to a single “isolated ground” receptacle. This simple step will almost always be effective at cleaning up common mode noise that can cause hum."

Spirit, since you know and like Clayton Shaw's offerings, have you thought about digital room correction? He offers that service (SpatialComputing.com). I believe it has a lot of potential merit in difficult rooms and real world settings.

His viewpoint on the current direction and sound of(most) 'high end' components is near identical to my own thoughts formed over the past 20 years.

So Charles, other than SETs being the shizzle, what specific elements of Phil's theology do you ascribe to? From what I surmise from some of his writings, room acoustics, power conditioning, and wire are a waste of time. Do you agree with that? Several older audiophiles and manufacturers I know whom I respect greatly share similar views. It almost appears to be a generational residue of sorts.
Hello Arear,
1, I`m a true believer in the benefit of balanced AC power transformers. I`ve used the BPT3.5 SIG Plus for 4 years and as I`ve written elsewhere it provides an across the board improvement(yes,dynamics included) that is substantial.It`s permanent part of my system.

The room is an obvios major factor in regards to overall sound.I will admit I`ve not put in any effort to using room treatments as my room just has very good acoustics already(sheer luck?) people who have visited my home have all commented on the good sound quality. Could it be further improved? yes , but at this time I enjoy it and will leave well enough alone.

To be fair, I`m not read where phil has been dismissive of room effects,cables(he`s spoken highly of Zu cables and Auditorium for example). He`s also spoken positively about isolation transformers. He probably does`nt place the same degree of emphasis as you and priorities are likely in a different order.

I do prefer SET amplifiers but willing admit they all are`nt equal and their certanly is a pecking order. There are other alternatives in amplifier choice that can yield excellent results(I`ve never questioned that).Exception SET amplifiers just have worked out best for me and my desires .

Where I most agree with phil is the area of tonality,timbre and holistic attributes and their vital importance in presenting music 'natural' and convincingly.Much of the direction in the High End seems toward hyper detail and ultra clean low distortion. The result of this(strictly my humble opinion) is the sound becomes artificially lean, dry, sterile, 2-diminsional etc. The full body tone and harmonics are stripped away ( the complete note i.e.substain and decay is compromised)and the music will lose emotional involvement and sound canned.

When I listen to live acoustic music(mostly jazz)I`m always remined of the true fullness of the instruments and how strikingly beautiful they sound. There`s a natural flow and liquid quality(along with dynamic nuance and ease) that many componenets convert to a stiff or mechanical character(this is a major flaw). I want to preserve as much of that inate organic/holistic presence as I reasonably can.
Charles,
Regards,