ARC REF 3, Nagra PSA, & Phase Inversion

Last night, while I was auditioning a Nagra PSA for my primary system, at the suggestion of a friend, I inverted the phase on the REF 3. The sonic effects were remarkable. The speakers disappeared further. The sound stage became much more defined and deeper; it extended a little more forward, quite a bit more backward, and even a little wider. Imaging, which had always been quite good, was also markedly improved. And the overall musical presentation was more relaxed (for lack of a better word) and musical (to my ears). I was really shocked but also quite pleased with the changes I heard!

Can someone explain what exactly goes on with phase inversion and how it can cause the changes I heard (and perhaps other changes that occurred and I did not recognize them)?

Thanks in advance!
4musica44107
I would guess the recording was recorded out of phase, and you corrected it. Or something is wired out of phase in your system, and you corrected that.
Many recordings are recorded out of phase, or some instruments in the recording out of phase, so that is why a phase switch can be useful to correct this, if it is important to you.
Were you using the unbalanced (RCA) output of the preamplifier? If so, the REF3 usually sounds better in the inverted position.
Microstrip:

For the evaluation I was doing, I was using the balanced output. I am going to talk to my friend who suggested the inversion and get his explanation, then share it in a subsequent response for this thread.