Are all streamers the same?

Dogma says they’re all the same. Experience suggests otherwise. Price may or may not be guide. Are there solid tech reasons such as bleed of noise into the digital signal? What does “it’s all about the ‘implementation’”really mean? How come power cords and interconnects make a difference? For example, there are numerous USB cords that separate the power from the signal cables to minimize interference and noise transference.

Why don’t we have an accepted science of audio, as yet? Where’s the research compilation esp at textbook level? Yes I’m happy just listening and using my ears and my biases to make judgments; no problem.

Yet I continue to see dogma, from the USA and Europe, indeed everywhere, that remains steadfast in their disbelief in variances. It becomes tiresome at times. But hey what do I care? Lol, my pursuit of fidelity and knowledge remain equally strong.

128x128johnread57

Thanks to all posters here. There are some great examples of the reasons for differences as well as variations in experience in different use cases. There are few generalizations beyond case specific, and of course, the audio signal coming out of a streamer including or excluding noise varies.

I have a room correction device from shm . In addition to the basic Dirac RC I bought a unit that for an extra $109 threw in a streamer. I’ve since compared it to the Node, Bryston BDP-3, Melco N 100, and Cambridge CXN 60.

The Dirac is fine but the enclosed streamer is awful.

In general I have found that as one ascends the price ladder in streaming the better things get. For me the sweet spot are the CA and the Melco in terms of performance and price. The Bryston as a tad better but cost several times more and the software package was unusable

The only thing that sounds the same in the audiophile world is the sound of a tree falling in the forest when there's no one there to hear it.

The best approach is to only buy audio products that have been objectively measured by the manufacturer with the results made public (Schiit, etc.) or have been carefully measured by folks like ASR or Audioholics or a few others. That way you can escape from your cave of uncertainty about your own hearing or limited knowledge about science and engineering using expert advice that brings about a Xanadu of confidence in the performance of your equipment, and so will you rise into the nirvana of audio bliss. angel

If you mean dramatically overpriced, then yes.

I run a micro PC I got from Amazon for $130 and run Ubuntu Linux (free) on it.  The free clementine music manager looks a lot like iTunes, but I mostly run JRiver ($30).  I can stream music from the Internet, but I mostly just play things from my collection.  Iʻve ripped all of my CDs and have begun ripping my records to digital.  My system sounds great.