Audio research 100.2 any good ?????

I am thinking of buying a audio research 100.2 amp . I am driving monitor audio silver 8 speakers and want a nice warm sound . Is the audio research a good amp @ only 100 watts per channel , or should i step up to a parasound a21 ?
nesto719
Hi nesto719.  The ARC was sold new in the late '90s/early 2000 so if you could find one in good condition and at the right price, I wouldn't hesitate.  That being said, I would personally have it sent into ARC to have it checked out.  Caps can get worn, etc.. I guess I'd have it checked out just for peace of mind....that's just me.  Any of the newer NAD amps would work well.  Even their Integrateds like the 356/375 would work out very well.  Check out some of the older forums here on synergy with Monitor Audio.  Do you already have a preamp?  I wouldn't necessarily say there is better sound out there as that is quite subjective.  I just bought older Blue Circle gear that I am really enjoying.  Plus, it can be sent into Blue Circle for upgrades.  A tube preamp with a solid state amp may be just what you're looking for to give you some warmth.  Keep us posted.  Regards.....

I don't have a preamp yet , was thinking of running the amp off of my marantz 7008 for a short period . I really like the thought of integrated as well and demoed the parasound halo integrated and was impressed . Just was thinking that seperates might be a be better option . Just confused about this whole thing I guess 
I have a 100.2. Excellent amplifier. A couple of things to keep in mind is that AR will not service the amplifier (not even recap it) since the transistors are no longer available. If those transistors are damaged or stop working while in their care they are basically screwed and owe you an amplifier. Second thing is that the rail voltage is 50 volts and the power supply caps are rated at 50V instead of 63V. This will definitely shorten the lifespan of the caps. Replacing those caps are a pain in the neck as you have to practically take apart the amplifier. It took me the better part of two weekends to change out those caps so a professional shop is going to charge quite a bit to do the job.

Before you buy, you have to look under the top cover and make sure those power supply caps are not bulging on top or leaking.
Seperates are certainly great, but not always better.  Depends on your long term goals and your system.   If you're going to keep your MA speakers for awhile I'd look into an integrated that has the features you like.  Creek, NAD or Rega is where I'd start.  The new Creek 50A or 100A integrateds are very smooth and accommodate future phono, tuner and Dac modules.  I had the 50A and it was very good driving Tannoy Precision 6.2. Your source and cables will make a difference as well.  Do a little research and better yet some auditioning if you can.  Try not to get overwhelmed.  The search can be fun.  Keep us posted.  Regards.....

All great replies !!! Thank you . It's good to know that the 100.2 can't be serviced by audio research . That will definently help steer my direction beingbthatbthe amp I'm looking to purchase is online and definently won't be able to see it in person before purchasing . I'm definently gonna hang onto the speakers for awhile , so I will look into those integrated models . Thank you all again !