Back to the DAC

Just a bit of an update. When I inquired about a DAC upgrade in a recent post, it was suggested that I look at upgrading my cables first. Since then, I have done so (see my virtual system for that). Not over the top stuff, but a definite improvement over the mostly stock, generic cables I originally had.

System is sounding pretty darn good, but like most of us, you always wonder what a more expensive DAC will offer in the way of sound quality improvements.

Many of the recommended, higher priced DACs seem to include streamers and/or offer pre-amp capabilities. I have a good streamer and pre-amp and really don’t want all those components in one box.

Have any of you experienced a DAC which offers the sound qualities of highly praised units like the Mola Mola Tambaqui, DCS Lina, T&A 200, Weiss DAC501, etc. which their only function is a DAC?

128x128navyachts

@navyachts That Laiv DAC supplanted Srajan Ebans Terminator+, Sonnet Pasithea, Cen.Grand, and COS for a fraction of their costs. The leader behind Laiv hails from Denafrips, who went on his way.

Not only do they have a return policy and warranty program, they're also working on a distributor in the US. Here's the review of it at 6moons, and here's another video/podcast of it. Just advance the timeline of it to get to the Laiv discussion. It starts at 15:19,

All the best,
Nonoise 

I have also been considering upgrading my DAC and compared the following, listed in order of my preference.  

-Bricasti M1 Series 2:   Detail, imaging, soundstage second to the Mola Mola Tambaqui but not by much.  Both are resolving, with excellent retrieval of ambient detail, secondary harmonics and decay.  Both create dense images.  The edge the Mola Mola has is separation of images and dimensionality of images. I rate the  Bricasti as my favorite because timbre is more to my preference with a richer tone than the Mola Mola. 
-Mola Mola (see discussion above). The detail, staging and imaging champ IMHO.                
-DSC Bartok 2.0 (preowned). Detail, staging and imaging equivalent to the above.  Stage further back. My preference is the more up front presentation.  Others disagree with me.  Images less dense.  Again not my preference.  Lighter is a word that comes to mind IMHO.  

You cannot go wrong with any of the three.  You need to audition in as much as a controlled comparison against your current DAC and chose the best for you.  

For now I am staying with my Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC together with an Aurender N200.   All of the above have better detail retrieval and staging.  But I prefer a rich, natural timbre with solid, dense images. I favor sharp leading edges with excellent micro and macro dynamics and the retrieval of secondary harmonics and decay.  I find my current DAC competitive in these areas that are important to me.  So for now I am trying saving my change until I have the bank for the spend on one of my top two.  

Post removed 

Thanks @tvad. I never heard the M21.  Pro reviews indicate the M1 S2 comes close.  Do you have an opinion?   Also, what converter do you use most often on the M21-chip or ladder? … and what are your impressions on both.  I have been considering an M21 but would need to go preowned.