Benchmark dac - why such diverging opinions?

I'm puzzled.
Audiophile sites and magazines continue to rave about the benchmark dac (HDR, USB, pre,...). Perfect rendition, studio quality, unbeatable value,...

Yet criticism stacks up high on many blogs. Too harsh, not musical enough,...

Why such divergence? Does its popularity make it the one one loves to hate? Are magazines just biased in their reviews? Are audiophile bloggers not good judges of quality. Are those considering buying a dac at that price having sub-par components whose imperfections the benchmark dac amplifies, while those going higher end don't consider the dac adequate vs a berkeley or weiss? Where is the catch?

I ended up buying a w4s dac. I considered the benchmark yet never had the chance to audition it.
mizuno
I also auditioned a Benchmark HDR at home several months ago. Like a lot of people, I found it too lean in the mid-bass, and while the treble was impressivly extended, I found I didn't really like the sounds that were revealed "way up there" (I believe in a live situation that extreme treble frequencies never make it to the ears. I remember a cartoon showing two audiophiles walking out of a concert and agreeing, "Not enough treble!".) I did like the exceptionally clean and bell-like midrange. Also the sound was very immediate and "quick". I really wanted to like it more because it's such a cool piece of gear, but it's not really how I want to hear the music.

Maybe it's an issue of "you can't handle the truth!" Maybe all the other equipment I like is plump in the mid-bass and rolled off on top. Quite possible given that I gravitate towards tube gear.
It doesn't sound good. Very bright, harsh, and strindgent. There are very few positive comments I have heard about the Benchmark from people who have owned it. Especially if they have auditioned other DAC's, then it really gets thrown out with the dishwater.

If you had a very "warm" sounding system; high efficiency horns, tube pre and SET amp, the brightness might mellow that out, give you an even sound. Otherwise, it's just not a great DAC. I have never understood the positive reviews.
Macdad-What does "strindgent" mean? I'm puzzled. Let me check The American Heritage Dictionary.
Very simple: Stereo magazines are commercial and being paid to advertise the product from the good side. The bad side is usually found on discusussions and blogs.
Like any decent/good component it will sound really good in some systems and leave something to be desired in others.

Plus different listeners like different things.

So, like any piece, the best you can discern from reviews and opinions is whether or not any certain piece sounds good sometimes and maybe why or sometimes bad and why.

Then you assess how it is likely to sound in your system and room based on your best analysis including value judgements, etc. Then you try it. If your analysis was good, it will likely sound good. Then you assess in your system, determine whetehr satisfied or not. if not, then you repeat the process a little smarter than when you started so better chance for good results next time.

That's basically how it works.

Generally, if you stick with well known products that have received multiple positive reviews, even if there are also some negative ones, the quality of the product will not be the issue, rather how good a job you did with your analysis and decision making process.

There are very few things in the world everyone agrees is good much less outstanding. There are some who do not find Cameron Diaz attractive even for example. SO "that's jsut the way it is. Some things will never change....".