Benchmark Media Systems. Right or wrong

128x128mijostyn

I have been trialing “audiophile” balanced interconnects between my DAC, the LA4, and my amp. I had one set of Benchmark XLR’s and a set of Blue Jeans Belden’s, that I was replacing.

I use my audiophile XLR’s between my sources and my LA4. However, between my LA4 and amp I use 25-foot Benchmark XLR. When I had my AHB2 the cables did not matter too much. With my CODA #16 amp and Sanders Magtech amp I get the same impression.

There were many manufacturers who came out against MQA, and a few vowed to never incorporate that circuit into their equipment. I don’t remember anyone complaining about them taking a stand on that. In fact many forum members here believed them to be correct? I think manufacturers are free to voice their opinion like anyone else. Often they have a better foundational knowledge and experience to make that opinion.

Benchmark equipment is not sterile, it is neutral, very nicely made and fairly priced. After that you can take it anywhere. Want an analog glow? Add a turntable with a tube phono stage. The difference with good electronics pales in comparison to the difference in speakers. 

On another note, having spoken with them, Benchmark is heavily into digital signal processing. They are currently using a MiniDSP SHD Studio with two of their own DACs and find the combination excellent. This is a Dirac Live platform which I have tested and it is a very effective and simple to use system. It is not as flexible as higher resolution designs, but it is amazingly cost effective. The only problem with the MiniDSP SHD is the DACs are not audiophile quality. Benchmark solved that problem by choosing the Studio version and using their own DACs. 

I owned 2 Benchmark DACs. DAC 1 years ago and recently DAC 3 HGC. To me the benchmark sound is cool, dry, a more a matter of fact type sonic rendition of recorded music . I do agree though that the product is nicely built, rich in features and measures well. It’s priced accordingly. Just not my cup of tea. I was able to warm the DAC 3 sound with a good USB and power cables though but it didn’t do it for me. If you like it, good for you!

One other thing I will mention. When I called benchmark I spoke to a person pretty much right away. Their customer service is good. But whoever that was, I don’t remember now, recommended that I ditch my Pass Labs preamp and run the DAC 3 HGC direct to amp. I had already tried it by then and didn’t like the results. The claim was that my Pass preamp is noisy and degrades the sound quality. DAC 3 direct into amp resulted in flat, dry and forward presentation. It was significantly worse than having a preamp in the chain.
The volume control on DAC is definitely a useful feature if you’re in between preamps. But it’s not a replacement so no thanks….I like my preamp. 

I’m a big fan of Benchmark. Great products at reasonable prices. I do however have a pair of their speaker cables here. Compared to my Cardas Clear Cygnus speaker cables, they sound dull and lifeless. So I think they should be careful about making blanket statements - and in a somewhat snide manner nonetheless.  I’d gladly pay the premium for the Cardas cables over theirs.  It is not a subtle difference and worth every penny.