Best budget phono preamp for Unison Unico?

Hi,

I was fortunate enough to buy a Unison Unico hybrid integrated amp here on Audiogon at a great price ($800). :-)

I'm driving a set of Totem Arro speakers. And I have a SOTA Sapphire TT currently being refurbished at the SOTA factory.

Since this Unico doesn't have the built in phono stage, I need an outboard unit. When I say "budget," I mean $250 or less, ideally. I was considering the Cambridge unit that goes for $169... the reviews look good. Any other suggestions? I'm not sure whether I'll be using MM or MC in in the tone arm. All I know is that the 20-year-old Audioquest cartridge needs replacing! ;-)

Thanks!
rebbi
Neway317,

I've seen the Phonomena for around $300, used (the one with the original power supply).

What about the Jolida JD 9 phono stage? It's a little pricey for my budget (I've seen it for around $375).
Rebbi: the Unison Unico is my absolute favorite small integrated. Roll those tubes and you will be in HaShemiam!
Chashmal,

It sounds very nice and the build quality is unbelievably beautiful. (And it's amazingly HEAVY!) It'll clearly drive the Arro much louder than I'd ever listen to music, too.
This is my first tubed gear and I really know nothing about the ins and outs of tubes. But the seller was kind enough to include two sets of "alternative" tubes to try.

Any know of a good online tutorial on tube gear?
I think that trial and error is the only way to get to know tubes. Eventually one is going to blow, and you will replace it. Rolling tubes will change the sound dramatically. With such a nice piece as the Unico it will be easy to find a sound you like. I know of no tutorial, but audiogon itself is almost as good. There is so much one can learn just reading what people have to say. Eventually (if you are like most audiophiles) you will want to upgrade and try different things. One I have noticed is that tube gear really responds to different cables. It seems to the the easiest and cheapest upgrade one can do.
I will have a Phonomena for sale in near future if you are still looking at that time, my dads upgrading to the Nova DC model and his can be had for $250 but again its gonna be a few more weeks.