Best Rock Drummers

I've seen most of them and by far the two that stand out are Neil Peart of Rush and Ceasar Z. of Golden Earring. For non-rock I would say it's a no brainer with Buddy Rich.
zar

@goofyfoot - Most of what the Who did was a departure from what they did earlier.  'Tommy' was a departure from 'My Generation', for example. Bands that never depart from a formula will eventually bore their audience as well as themselves.

I actually enjoyed 'Who Are You' more than 'Quadrophenia', especially the title track and John Entwistle's numbers. But I always like Entwistle songs! 👍

@larsman  I don't agree with you about other Who records being as drastically different from one another as 'Who Are You' was to The Who's earlier efforts. Anyway, if you like 'Who Are You' that much, then to each his own.

I never paid much attention to him before, but I developed a newfound appreciation for Simon Phillips. Incredible musical ability, versatility and technique up the kazoo. I hate to compare, but for my money, for guys that play a big kit, I much prefer his playing to Peart’s. Not really fair because I hate Rush’s music. 

@chayro - I assume you're a fan of his playing on Phil Manzanera's '801 Live' album? That's what turned me on to how great Simon Phillips was.... 

pwdmark,

Danny Carey is indeed one of the greats. The other day when I was doing something in the garden he came to mind in reference to this thread, and I forgot to mention him. Tool wouldn't be the band that they are without him.