Best speaker brands for transient response

Hello all, first post / longtime lurker on here. I have really appreciated all I've learned from following threads on here -- much appreciated.

I've had three speakers in my house for a few years, and have learned that transient response is the quality I value most. I'm researching upgrade options and would appreciate recommendations on brands.

Currently I have KLH Model 3s, JBL 4305Ps, and JBL Studio 590s. The sealed KLHs are far superior in transient response / speed / attack. The 4305Ps are pretty good (I'm assuming because they're active) and the 590s, while they do a lot of things well, are relative laggards.

I am assuming that on average a sealed design at any given price point will outperform a ported speaker in this area of performance, but I'm sure there are important exceptions.

I'm also curious if more expensive ported horn speakers (Klipsch heritage line, or the JBL 4349 for example) may deliver equal or better in transient response compared to a lower cost sealed speaker because they're using better drivers, crossovers, etc.

Thank you for any feedback / ideas you have.

tommyuchicago

I have 50 years of critical listening, from classical forms of all genres, rock, folk, jazz. I have owned various cone speakers, Magnepans, Martin Logan electrostats, Apogee Scintlllas and Divas, then refurbished my Divas thoroughly with Graz ribbons by Bill Thalman. I've run them with AR preamp, Krell preamp and KSA 100 and 200 amps, now D'Agostino bi-amps, dcs Rossini and clock, Walker turntable, etc. The weight of Wilson Chronosonic speakers and subs are overall at the top of my wish (not bucket!) list. But when it comes to speed, instrument and vocal timber, imaging, focus, dynamics, musical accuracy and goosebumps I will give my strong endorsement to ribbons! A line source of little mass, they are so responsive and musically pleasing, they are remarkable. Once I heard and owned ribbons (1984 to present) I could never settle for anything else for mid-bass to high treble reproduction. Check out the current market if available to you. Only then can you truly give yourself a truly informed experience by which to make purchase decisions. They are musically truthful and unforgiving of modest sources and cabling, so beware - bring $$$ to the party. Most grateful I did!

I agree that ribbons and similar planar magnetics subjectively have very good transient response and can sound very good.  I too like the Divas.  These types of speakers make a good case for disregarding measurements as they have the worst waterfall plots which would suggest the opposite of clean and fast decay of notes.  

I wish I  could offer something useful. 300 wpc wasn't enough to give my Blades what they needed to put some bounce in their step, but adding the MC611's really woke things up.

Once I heard and owned ribbons (1984 to present) I could never settle for anything else for mid-bass to high treble reproduction. 

That's not the first time I've read a post like this @classicalpiano ;) Thank you for your response. It's the big reason the Borresens are on the list.

@jayctoy I know the KLH brand is now under new ownership -- do wonder if they would ever do a panel speaker, based on the owner being from Klipsch I'm betting not...