Brand new Technics SL-1210GR platter wobble ... disappointed!

Got a brand new Technics SL-1210 GR. Tonearm bearing feels good, no other issues, but it has a wobbly platter. Not as bad as I have seen in Hanpins, but should a $1700 table made in Japan have this amount of wobble? My Project belt driven TT has no wobble that I can see with naked eye.

I have uploaded 3 videos on YT. Can you guys take a look and tell me if this is acceptable for a $1700 TT w/ no cart?

Debating whether I should accept this or return it. I do not want to send a brand new TT for service. FYI, I did reseat the platter at various angles to see if the wobble went away, but no such luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du8rBwvrhVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQsdpmKrXhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm7ghWgcqFo

P.S. Apologies for a bit of camera shake, but I think it is clear to see the platter move up/down

128x128dandaroy

Showing 10 responses by dandaroy

@chakster , no this was NIB. Bought from Crutchfield. There is no way to damage the spindle when opening the box. Also I was careful to lower the platter on the spindle.
Thanks for confirming. I did not think that was normal for a player of this class. I did try to reseat the platter several times each time rotating a bit. The spindle seems to be fine through naked eye.

With sadness, I am going to have to return. These units are hard to come by and out of stock so I am not going to be able to ask for replacement right away. 

Thanks nonetheless.
@chakster and others,  I returned it because it is out of stock with no date when it will be in stock again. This table is always out of stock.

The crutchfield resident tt expert I talked to said this amount of wobble is "normal" with these tables. Which means if I exchange it, there is no guarantee of receiving a table with no visible wobble. Or if I send it to the factory, they will send it back saying this is within normal tolerances. He said most do not complain.

So I know most of us think it should have no visible wobble, but many do. Unless some SL-1200/1210GR owners can tell me they have a table with no visible wobble.
@stereo5  Crutchfield's return policies are pretty good. I sent it back for a refund. This table is out of stock almost everywhere and whenever it is in stock it does not stay that way for long. However, I am very hesitant to try it out again to see the same problem show up. Mine cannot be the only wobbly platter out of the factory.
@audioguy85 there is wobble of the top surface. I could not capture it with the phone. Whether it is going to be audible is another matter of debate.
@larrys have you checked out or know of (through secondhand), the new new Thorens TD-1600. I know the company is nothing like the old, but the 1600 design looks classic and has some decent reviews. It is a bit more expensive $3k than I want to spend, but was wondering.
So, it looks like all the Technics are gone and I am told backordered until August. Can anyone suggest another TT I can try in this price range up to $2500? I have a Hana SL cart that I would like to use with it. I have Project Tube Box DS2 with GL 12ax7s in it. I think the phono for $900 is very good. Extremely quiet and the Hana SL is good too. I currently use it on a Project Classic SB that I am trying to upgrade from.
@stereo5 I think it is a good value given the price, but there is also a cult status that these turntable has achieved and hence it is never in stock. I am certain, a % of these player are escaping QC and many users just do not care, just buy it and use it. It is us anal ones that complain. :)
Will the Technics retain the warmth of belt driven turntables? Michael Fremer in his review indicated that constant adjustment of speed gives it a sharp edge to the sound?
Found a brand new in box SL1210GR from a different online dealer with a return policy. We will see how this one turns out!