Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has tried using footers beneath the Bricasti M1? Please share experience.
When I brought the M1 home for audition, I placed it on these footers from Harmonix by Combak, the RF 900 series :-

http://www.combak.net/feet&bases/FEET_and_BASES.html

http://www.combak.net/ (review here)

They make a world of difference. I use the same for my speakers.

J.
Hey Jon

Good idea. I am going to have to try this! I have wanted to try this type of vibration control mod.

Hey guys:

I just pulled the trigger on new speakers and amps to take full advantage of my Bricasti. I was struggling to find the right amps for my speakers to the point of then getting into swapping speakers so I just went hole hog and made a "HUGE CHANGE"! With my Bricasti and its great volume control / output stage it made my BAT and ARC preamps pretty much obsolete. I prefer the Bricasti M1 with no pre and not by a small amount. That said my preamps, speakers and amps are now gone.

I have gone in an entirely different direction and I am super excited and nervous at the same time.

My new speakers and amps should be here next week. For the first time I am purchasing amps that were specifically designed and made for my speakers by the same designer from the same company. Something new for me ! I have my digital front end nailed down pretty good with my Bricasti M1 DAC and I didn't want to get back onto the amp-merry-go-round so I thought this was a great choice for me. I love the dynamics, bass, grip and precise control of Solid Stage but I love the sound of tubes. I really fell for what a good solid state amp can do but missed tubes. That said I have decided to take the plunge and purchased new speakers and a new amp from a real small boutique company in India that I hope can offer some of the best of both worlds:

Rethm Saadhana Speakers (2015):

The speakers are single / driver / high efficiency / wide banders with a self powered built in bass module.

Here is the info:
Rethm Saadhana Speakers (2015):
103db, 18hz-20khz, 8ohm
Minimum amplification power: 2 wpc
Full Range - Horn loaded labyrinth:(7" – 4") length
Full range driver: Custom designed 7 inch paper cone w/whizzer w/ Custom designed Self driven bass modules: 3 Bass Drivers per enclosure
3 x 6.5 inch paper cone
Sealed Isobaric chamber:
Bass labyrinth:( 4' – 8" )
w/ one monobloc per enclosure
FET amplifier
Max. output: 210 wpc @ 4 ohms
Dimensions: H x D x W : 3'-5" )x( 2'-4 ½" )x( 8.5" )
Weight per enclosure: 88 lbs

Here is the matching amp that comes in 2 boxes. 1 - box holds all the tubes and the other holds the power supply tethered by a cable. They look like mono blocks but are attached by the cable and it is an integrated, stereo amp.

Rethm Gaanam Integrated amp.
They don't list all the specs per say but here some info if your interested. It interested me enough to order these brand new speakers and amps and we have all chatted a lot so I wanted to share in the event your interested.

This is a pretty unique amp that was again voiced and designed specifically to match the speakers perfectly.

Here is the designer talking about designing the amp.

The criteria we started with were the following:

1. It had to be between 10 and 20 wpc.
2. It had to be Single Ended pure class A.

We use a unique circuit for the power amp section whereby the ONLY tubes are the output tubes. No gain stage tubes, no buffer tubes, no driver tubes. The preamp section provides more than adequate gain, and instead of driver tubes, we have small, custom designed "driver transformers". This enabled us to get a beautiful sound that had all the warmth and dimensionality that makes valves so unique, while enabling a clarity and dynamic that is not often found in traditional valve amplifiers. To enhance control, we decided on a solid state buffer in this amplifier. We also have zero feedback.

After much experimenting with several valve types, we settled on a single-ended configuration using the 6C33C valve. It produces 16 wpc. The 6C33C valve is, on technical spec's itself, an amazing valve. It has an extremely high Trans-conductance value ( in excess of 30 mA/V -- as compared to the 12.5 of a KT 120 ) which facilitates much better current flow. And, it has an amazingly low Internal Resistance ( 130 ohms -- as compared to 3000 ohms on a KT 120 ) which is almost comparable to solid-state devices! This enables a much higher speed of signal voltage transfer. It also has very low anode voltages ( 120 v -- as compared to most valves that go from a few hundred volts to in excess of 1000 v in the case of the 845 valve ) -- which makes it a much safer device.

The preamp section uses two 6922 valves, one per channel, and uses an extremely simple circuit. The power supply is choke regulated, and here again, we have zero feedback.

We also get all our transformers (the output transformers, driver transformers, power transformer and choke) cryogenically treated as we see a substantial improvement in performance with greater transparency, detail retrieval and delicacy to the reproduction.

Wish me luck guys. I took the plunge and took a chance that I can get that Tube and SS flavor and overall take my rig to the next level.

Any advice or feedback or anything is always really appreciated. I know this is the Bricasti thread but we have talked a lot about other amps and speakers matching to the Bricasti and that kind of stuff so I wanted to update and share :)
Wow, Frank, you're a true fearless audio cliffdiver! That's quite a leap.

Great to know that amp/speaker match will have perfect synergy. Here's my advice:

1) Break-in: Resist the urge to judge anything until plenty of break-in time. Use pink noise on repeat overnights.
2) Setup: Take your time with room setup and read the archives to suggestions. Start w/manufs' advice and consider the setup calculations on Cardas website.
3) AFTER the get a feel for the rig & room, then try rolling the 6922s. Current production won't be near the level of many great options including pricey Tungsol 7308, the crisp Telefunkens, my value-fav the Amperex Bugle Boys, bargain Valvos & Tunsgrams, and others. Read Joe's Tube Lore: http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

Cheers,
Spencer
Sbank

Thanks for the advice! Any idea where to get a pick noise download? That's a good idea!