Can a power amp have too much power, risking damage to a speaker?

I have a McIntosh 402, rated 400 watts continuous per channel. If I use it to drive a pair of Klipshorns or LaScala [specified to handle 100 watts continuous] or similar high-efficiency speakers, do I risk damage to such speakers? 

joelepo

JBL warns about loud levels. See JBL studio monitor technical manual here last page caution section SPL!

Mike

I had same question not long ago. I wrote to Buchardt customer service if I can use for example 800W amplifier (Peachtree Class D) with my speakers (4 Ohms, recommended power 40-200W) and that was the answer:

You can use an amplifier with as many watt's as you wish, as long as you don't turn the volume up higher than the speakers can handle, it is not a problem at all :)
More wattage helps the speakers to perform better when pushing the volume up, so you cannot really get "too many" watts.

Thanks iad for nuancing this discussion!
I'm no longer worried about. having an over-powered amp, as long as it's clean power driving my speakers and as long as I don't drive my hearing to deafness. 

For my latter concern, I'd advise all to monitor ambient listening SPL with audiometer. I keep my general listening between 60- and 70-dBA and listen to music up into the 80s dBA-- dependent on the genre. For home theater, we set to between 70- and 80-dBA for most dialogue, but expect transient peaks into and beyond 90dBA. 

@joelepo glad to hear you are happy with your setup now

I never mesaured it, I should try

@joelepo 

Exactly right- don’t worry unless you really crank it up to hearing injuring levels and beyond.  Congrats on saving your hearing.