Cartridge Loading- Low output M/C

I have a Plinius Koru- Here are ADJUSTABLE LOADS-
47k ohms, 22k ohms, 1k ohms, 470 ohms, 220 ohms, 100 ohms, 47 ohms, 22 ohms

I'm about to buy an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze that recommends loading at 50-200 ohms

Will 47 ohms work? Or should I start out at 100 ohms?

I'm obviously not well versed in this...and would love all the help I can get.

Also is there any advantage to buying a phono cartridge that loads exactly where the manufacturer recommends?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
krelldog
Hi Al,
so, let’s look at some simulations of the RIAA stage input.
Let’s assume that a minimum capacitance has been achieved of 100pF, which as it includes the cartridge winding capacitances, the internal wiring of the pickup arm, the interconnect to the preamp, the wiring to the preamp input and the preamp input capacitance. is probably optimistically low and beyond absurd for anything that involves a SUT or a tube amp. Let’s also assume that mechanical resonances do not exist and the only thing that matters is the electrical response.
Let’s also use our ideal MC cartridge with 5mH and 5 ohms series resistance and lets start with a 47k load.
The peak is at 663kHz and the magnitude is 28dB, the 10MHz rolloff (relative to 1kHz) is 48dB, the boost at 20kHz relative to 1kHz is 70mdB.
For RFI- conducted RFI is generally c. a few kHz to 30MHz. Conducted RFI can be converted to radiated RFI in the power cords, power supplies etc. Radiated RFI is generally considered to be 30 MHz and above, except where conversion occurs. What domain are we concerned about?
I’ll choose the loss at 10MHz as a metric.
OK, lets increase the capacitance to 1000pF, which is a realistic cap based on the values originally presented as available, and see what happens.
The resonant frequency decreases to 223kHz, the magnitude drops to 26dB, but the 10MHz roll off is now 65dB! The gain at 20kHz is 68mdB.

Which of these would be more benign to RFI while keeping an acceptable audio response? I would argue the 1000pF case.

Now lets change the load R to 1k.
In the 1000pF case the peak is c. 3.5dB, and, of course, the loss at 10MHz remains the same at 65dB. The 20kHz boost has decreased to 53mdB.
In the 100pF case the peak has gone and the gain is now 4mdB and the -3dB bandwidth is about 400kHz. The 20MHz loss is 48dB.
Again, the 1000pF case is better from an RFI perspective, provided you don’t care about a 49mdB increase in RIAA error at 20kHz.
Now change the R to 100 ohms. For the 100pF case the gain at 20kHz is -1.3dB and the 20MHz loss is 51dB.
For the 1000pF case the 20MHz loss is now 66dB, but the 20kHz loss is slightly less than the 100pF case, so it appears that a bigger cap might be better, so lets try that.

Increase the cap to 10000pF. The 20kHz loss is now 0.8dB, and the 20MHz loss is 77dB!
Now increase it to 28600pF- the error at 20kHz is now 0mdB, the attenuation at 10MHz is -77dB, and the -3dB point is c. 40kHz which is generally at about the limit that the cartridge manufacturers specify.

So which of these scenarios gives the flattest 20-20kHz ELECTRICAL response AND the highest rejection at 10MHz?
And who knows, a real cartridge might actually have a slightly more ideal audio frequency response with a small loss at 10kHz and a larger one at 20kHz, depending on where the mechanical resonance lies.
By the way, I am the owner of two Miyajima Madake cartridges, one that’s approaching end of life and can’t be retipped and a second one with 12 hours of play, and I’ve been going through this exercise with them both with a SUT/tube amp combo and the AD797 based preamp and it’s proving very hard to reach a conclusion as to what is best...

Wyn

Oh, and I just wanted to say- the Miyajima Madake cartridge designer effectively loads the cartridge at effectively 60 ohms (I know as we have exchanged emails on the subject) using his in house SUT and amps and doesn’t add any cap in parallel- he prefers the sound. This is not the same as the recommended load which if I remember correctly is c. 200 ohms //0.68uF which I believe gives the "best" measured frequency response.
Some people (reviewers) claim that the Madake is best into a 1k or 10k or even a 47k load and I disagree totally- even though we all love the cartridge- so what is truth?
The units that I have are, if I remember correctly, #106 and #261 and they sound a bit different- the new one has a little less bass and a more strident HF and doesn’t measure quite as well as the older one which has c. 350hours of play, so hopefully it will break in and perform like its venerable ancestor does :-)
This is nonsense to ask other people what is the optimal loading for your own cartridge. Everyone's free to choose. 
Why is it nonsense? I know that I started out by seeing what others were loading the Madake with and it was seeing the huge range of answers that was posted that, to some extent, triggered the analysis process that I have gone through. 
If you view the cartridge as essentially a musical transformer taking what has been transferred to disk and producing a sound that you like then that is one thing, but if the idea is to, somehow, transfer the information from the disk to your ears in as perfect, unmodified, a way as possible then that is something entirely different.
At the very least, you'd think that getting something close to a decent conformance to the de-emphasis characteristic that corresponds to the original recording pre-emphasis would be a decent start, but as should be obvious, that is not so easy to achieve and some understanding of the limitations and trade offs in the choices that need to be made would seem to me to be valuable and I commend the original requestor for initiating this exchange.
I posted the thread. If its nonsense..stop reading it. I have learned a lot about the subject thanks to all the contributors.

What is nonsense is when you don't ask. Where on earth would you inform yourself regarding cartridge loading?

These forums are an amazing asset to those of us who want to learn more. 

I truly appreciate the patience and wisdom that have been shared in this thread.