CD Player Advice

I am looking for advice on CD players. My current player is the Rega Planet 2000. I'm fairly new to the quality audio market, and probably don't have the right vocab, but I can say that I find the Rega a bit harsh.

Other equipment: Creek 5350, VA Bach, Wastach LC-530 speaker cables, Wasatch 104-U interconnects

My favorite music is acoustic, blues - a lot of Calpton, Garcia, Grisman.

I'm willing to spend 1-2K, used or new, solid state or tubed.

The other CD player that I have listend too on my system in the creek CD43, which I liked alot - better than the rega. IT seemed to have a softer and more realistic sound, but I'm guessing that I can even better than that.

any advice is appreciated. thank you
benmcgill
Look for a used Meridian 508-20 or 508-24. They better those players by large margins.
I would reccomend the Audio Aero Prima, it's in your price range and it crushes both the Rega Planet and Meridian 500,566.24 in my system. I feel that it is very close to as good as the 8800.00 Capitole Mk 2 CD player
I've been looking for a CDP in about the same price range. There are many many many recommendations in the archives, I've spent the last week reading the archives, and my conclusion is.... (drum roll)

...lot's of different advice and the only consensus is that you MUST audition the different players, and it's best if you can audition in your system.

Good Luck!
This may be below your sights ... but you could try the Music Hall CD-25 ($500 range). If you listen to a lot of Grisman & Acoustic Disc music ... that is all HDCD encoded ... and the Music Hall is an HDCD unit. Old & In The Gray, (for example, Pet Sounds, is another) sounds absolutely superb. I have owned the MH for about a year now and it is a nice sounding, well put together machine. The marketing for the MH compares it to a $1000 machine. You could also try the Shanling CDT 100 (imported by Music Hall; same manufacturer as the Music Hall CD25)

http://www.shanling.com/CD-T100.htm

Regards, Rich
I second the Audio Aero Prima. I love mine. It cannot be touched for the price; and will hold its' own with players costing more than twice the price. This baby is absolutely amazing. The Prima has a couple of tubes that keep the digital a little toasty, if you will...you can email me for info about where to purchase the Prima. I got it for a great price through a very reliable source. peace, warren