CD player just tanked.

Brief introduction: I just recently inherited a hifi system (Audio Research LS16 pre-amp, Proceed HPA2 amp, Aerial Acoustics 7B tower speakers, Arcam CD92 CD player). I'm new to this audiophile stuff but am enjoying the system and learning about it.

Was listening to Dark Side of the Moon CD tonight when suddenly it sounded like the music was coming out of a can. Put in another CD, same thing. My only other source of input is iTunes via a head phone jack/RCA Y cable into the pre-amp. That sounds fine.

So I'm assuming it is the CD player but it seems like an odd sort of issue. I think this CD player is probably 15 years old but I see similar models on eBay for $300+. Wondering if it is worth trying to repair or if that is even possible. I'm also wondering if this could be a problem with the CD input 'channel' on the pre-amp. I guess I could plug the CD into the Aux input on the pre-amp and see.

Any thoughts appreciated.
n80
Racing is a whole other level of expense regardless of the car compared to HPDE.

I drive with NASA. They are loads of fun to run with but the racing classes are serious and you don't see too many shiny late model high branded cars.

DE4, for me, is tons of fun. Find 4 or 5 guys with comparable cars/talent and race all you want....just don't call it racing. I drive a 2007 Nissan 350Z that is not worth anything. I think it is a lot more fun when I don't have to worry about wadding up an expensive car.....but it certainly does not drive like a Porsche!

Funny thing is, down here in the south I skip July-Sept.NASA SE doesn't even run in August at all. Just too dang hot.

Yes, back to the music. I'm fortunate to enter the hobby with upper level stuff but for me there is sticker shock for every little tweak. I'm getting used to it.
I used to go to Limerock quite often. It’s a very small narrow track compared to some. The Porsche guys are very good at club events. I used to like the vintage stuff, seeing a pre-war Alfa on that track was a hoot. I drove that track back in the Skip Barber 3 day training sessions many years ago, using those Formula Jr. cars with Dodge Neon engines? I cannot imagine putting a powerful heavy car on that track but I know people who used to race there- Bill Hubbell (yes, his grandfather or great grandfather invented the electrical plug) was one.
That track at the motorcycle museum in Birmingham Ala is very nice. Porsche uses it as a training facility.
Cars can get pretty nutty; almost makes this hobby look sane. I’m well out of it at this point and never had the skill of a real racing driver. I did like the long rallies over B- roads on sanctioned events. We did the Targa Florio some years ago in Sicily. That was splendid .
I drive VIR frequently. Awesome track. The other two tracks I drive are local unknowns but still lots of fun. Barber is on my list. About a six hour drive. I'll probably drive Road Atlanta this year.

Limerock and Watkins Glen would be great but I don't see me towing a car that far.

The fellow I go to events with has a '67 Mustang. He built every inch of it including the engine. 675 hp. No power steering. No power brakes. It is faster than you'd think in the corners (5 link suspension in the rear) and it is terrifyingly fast in the straights.

For me one of the great aspects of track driving is that you find out where you and your car stand right quick. It can be humbling....to be passed by a Miata.

I have video of me on the back stretch of VIR at about 140mph. A Ferrari 458 Challenge car was there for a test-n-tune. 18 wheeler support vehicle, engineers, tire warmers, etc. He comes by me and it looks like I'm going 30 mph. I'm guessing he was up around 175 mph. Wonderful sound.

Targa Florio in Sicily! Must have been wonderful.
n80 OP
On the back of your Arcam CD92 there is a sticker, by any chance does it have a "T" after the CD92,
http://www.hifido.co.jp/photo/10/627/62793/i.jpg
If it does it’s very sought after having the "Ring Dac" D/A converter in it and the best/last HDCD chip PMD200, these are very good sounding units, worth fixing, if I wasn’t in Australia I’d be banging down your door to buy it, give me a price including post I'll buy it.

ARCAM DIVA CD92T: dCS RingDAC + PMD200, KSS-213C laser

Cheers George

George, I looked at it quickly this morning but did not see a "T" on there. I'll look again when I get home from work.

On the front it does say: CD92 dCS Ring DAC and HDCD.