CD players = dead?

From an audiophile, sound quality perspective are CD players obsolete? Can a CD player offer better performance than an audio server / streamer? 
madavid0
I'm still a huge fan of CD's and CD players. I've been buying CD's for 30 years, they're cheap, a lot of them sound great and remasters continue to come out. The players also keep getting better. I like to listen to a handful of discs on a Friday night and listen to each one from beginning to end. The thought of ripping them all makes me dizzy. What I could get into is a server that allows me to rip, store and play but then what do I do when it's time for a new one. I'm sure one of you could easily answer these questions for me. 

@Bullitt5094 what DAC are you using? Your rig sounds quite standard and provides a good guidance.
Its really sad, I like to own the disc.....not have it in some cloud somewhere........
Bryston's new BCD-3 will change some people's minds.  See the reviews that are just starting to trickle out...
don jr
As a dealer I listened to Bricasti M1 Dac. It didn't take a lot of time to convinced me to become a dealer. With no transport I was burning cd's onto my dedicated Mac Book. Then using JRiver as the software and using my computer for playback. At my age software is not my forte and JRiver is above my pay grade. Not being happy with that set up I became an easy mark for the Melco N1 music library, server. Now I team that up with the Buffalo CD burner. I started by burning a few CD's onto my Melco and then while I listened to music I burn more CD's at a rate of about one CD every 5 minutes. All the software is in the Melco, very simple to use. I purchased an iPod mini to act as the remote. I use the free Music Life software on that IPod. The Melco N1 costs 2k and the matching Buffalo burner ( get one on line at Office Depot ) $169. No a big investment and you can begin to leave those CD's in the shelf. 

Best
Jim