CD transports; do they really matter

In my pursuit of total sonic harmony, I have been investigating whether a CD transport ( to replace my bulky and aged Luxman CD player ) would be a good option.  I had an interesting conversation with the manufacturers rep of a respected brand regarding his companies CD transport.  He basically said its all in the DAC, the transport, as long as its not a cheap component, does not make much or any difference. So, I ask does it really matter?

mdrone

Yes, I agree with Charles and the others who have said that they make a very audible difference. Get the best one that you can afford.

@mdrone :

I compared the Pro-ject to my Sim and there was an immediate and very significant improvement. 

Although I did not care for the ergonomics of the Pro-ject, its sonic merits were clear as day. 

You could order the Pro-ject from one of the online audio sellers than offer returns and return it if you didn't like it. The proof is in  the listening!  

Made a definite improvement even in my mid level system when I stepped up from a Cambridge Audio ACX 35 CD player ( as CD and as transport)  to their CXC v2 transport.  Can’t face spending hours and months ripping my CD collection to a server even if it’s a better way to go.