CD transports; do they really matter

In my pursuit of total sonic harmony, I have been investigating whether a CD transport ( to replace my bulky and aged Luxman CD player ) would be a good option.  I had an interesting conversation with the manufacturers rep of a respected brand regarding his companies CD transport.  He basically said its all in the DAC, the transport, as long as its not a cheap component, does not make much or any difference. So, I ask does it really matter?

mdrone

CDT3-MK2 Flagship CDT

"I was so taken with the Terminator driven by the Jay’s Audio CDT-3 MK2 that I have bought two sets of both, one for each system, and sold my previous digital gear which included an Esoteric K-03x. The Terminator blew away the Esoteric’s DAC and the CDT-3 MK1 blew away the Esoteric’s transport. The Terminator is finely built, an ergonomically excellent functional design, comes with a 3 year warranty, and most importantly sounds excellent. And for me it is a bargain at its price. I wholeheartedly recommend it and the excellent Jay’s Audio CDT-3 MK2 for your consideration. And last but not least, the worldwide distributor, Alvin of Vinshine Audio provides service second to none. Thanks for reading. "

@stuartk

This is the model I was referring to above that used the Phillips CD PRO 2 drive unit.

Charles

@charles1dad I got a LPS about 5 or 6 weeks ago and its just improved to silly good level.

At this price point I’m quite disappointed that Pro-Ject does not include an internal linear power supply.

Should there be disadvantages with this approach I must have blinked.

What pearls of wisdom did you discover in your recent LPS research and adventure? I know very little about the nuances of external LPS units, so another learning curve I guess.

And now I see that Terry London has written about this error of judgement in his review, but doesn't quite get to mentioning internal PS.  

I'm currently trying to digest his word block, deliberately designed to make my three neurons fight with each other.  And I'm not even dyslexic.

Yes the cd transport matter. If it is made proper it does not matter if it is a top loaded transport or not. Some of what i have had in My own system:

Oppo, Cambridge, Lyngdorf, Playstation, C.E.C TL5, Simaudio Moon Neo 260D,Jays Audio mk2, Denafrips Avatar, TASCAM CD-9010

Have had a trusted friend test the Pro-Ject rs2 t against the TASCAM CD-9010 Used as a transport only.

Now i have the TASCAM.

In My opinion you get a ok value for your money from the newest transport from Jays and Pro-Ject is better. Compared to what has been made the last 10 years of cd transports you get more than you Pay for with Theese 2 transports

The Discontinued Avatar transport from Denafrips was a good transport but service was.......

Just my opinion. 

Regards