Classic Audio T1 and T3 field coil loudspeakers

Has anyone had the opportunity to listen to the latest versions of the Classic Audio T1 or T3 loudspeakers? The latest versions offer optional field coil woofer, midrange, and tweeter. I know they were on demo at the RMAF, but I was not present. Any opinions would be welcome. Thanks,
lewm
@duke,

Thank you for the reply. It is really helpful in supporting my inquiries as I journey into new speaker frontiers. I assume the Hartsfields have to be close to corners for optimal bass, somewhat like the new Klipschorns. I heard the Hartsfield at the Capital Audio Fest along with the T1, what a show that was. Both the T1 and Hartsfield played effortlessly in the room they were setup in with Atmasphere amps driving them. I have been all over the map exploring different speakers to make my next move. Your comments make my salivate to own a pair someday. 

@cal3713
T3s

natch, ralph is THE source on this matter hereabouts and I whole heartedly agree with his comments based on what I’ve heard from the cA speakers and CA maker John Wolff..

I did hear the T3s this year at FLAX 2020 with Atmas MP1 amps as I recall.

to date, both visits to FLAX events showed the CA & PAD & Atmas using purely TT as source. no digital source was evident.

comparing that little session with what the T1s and atmas top tier ‘nova’ power train supplied, in the same room as last year’s visit where the T1s were then kicking it I found the T3s coming this year in noticeably a step below with their insights and organics. some or all of this account could well rest with the tunes being demonstrated at the time, and or due to the fact atmas number one Nova power plant was not in the signal chain, or these T3s were not outfitted with FCs as were the T3s.

however, this is not to say the quick take event was negative in any capacity. moreover, it simply imformed me the T3s reproduction of the signal they receive will remain without audible violation. and true to the upstream components abilities.

although decidedly horns top to bottom they do not yield usual horn characteristics in their presentation.

These 2020 T3s are quite transparent windows thru which to enjoy your music library regardless its contents and I’d say even with digital sources.

that said I’d not go so far as to indicate they would patch or poor recordings and magically transform them into something better.

I saw a line on CA loudspeakers in an article some time ago which accounted for their sound as being dynamic as point source speakers yet as easy and detailed as panels or Stats.

… and i agree honest injun!! these ain’t your Grand pa’s or even your daddy’s horns.

not sure if the T1s qualify as destination fare for anyone, though were I to own them, given what John and ralph have said here on their ease for fitting to rooms, their utter transparency and tonal honesty, their abillity to run off of lower powered amps, the adjustability for each transducer, and choice of any automotive color possible, i’m hard pressed to see why I would be thinking of some other units to replace them with later.

given the CA horns take the glass completely out of the window for the involving and exciting presentation entertaining different amps and amp topologies from time to time would be far more interesting than chasing replacements.
@blindjim,

This really makes for a compelling reason to get any of the series
”although decidedly horns top to bottom they do not yield usual horn characteristics in their presentation. ”

Thats been my concern reading about and listening to other speakers. I recently heard the Klipsch 2 way jubilees and they could play loud, but not sure they are up to the musical qualities that I seek, definitely don’t want shouty, or ear piercing sounds. Your right, the CA are in a class by themselves. 
From https://www.avshowrooms.com/florida-audio-expo-2020-awards-show-report.html

Classic Audio, Purist Audio Design: John Wolff gives us a room walk-around naming the components including the Classic Audio T3 loudspeakers. Also, something new from Purist Audio Design, Jim Aud talks about the Corvus Diamond A/C chord connected to the preamplifier and the Corvus Diamond balanced cable for the reel to reel. We debuted “Killing me Softly” from Anne Bisson’s latest album “Keys to my Heart” on LP. The system delivered a huge soundstage with detailed and delicate vocals along with excellent tone. No shout, whatsoever. Amplification by Atma-Sphere.

dlanselm
111 posts
11-09-2009 9:19am
Hello Lewm,

I have heard both speakers on several occasions, the T.1's with field coil drivers are very special IMO, and worth seeking out an audition to form your own opinion.

I find these speakers to be very transparent to the source, they convey tone colors much like an electrostatic speaker, but with huge dynamics. They also really allow the energy of live music to be conveyed in a way I have heard very few other speakers. Despite being "lively" there is a smoothness about them. In hi-fi jargon that seems like an impossible combination, lively yet smooth. I suspect this type of sound is what field coil drivers bring to the table. I will leave that part of the discussion to the technical people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just wonderful descript ofa  FC speaker.
Seems speakers went down hill or backwards away from the FC magic, over the past 80 yrs , at least until some labs resurrected the FC design recently.
Man I'll take a  pair of these 1929 Grunow 12 inch G5's , If anyone wants to sell, please .
WOW 1929, super high fidelity. 
What happened since?
Had Seas/Scanspeak started building these drivers wayyyy back when, , prices would have fallen to reasonable, realistic levels. 
We'd all be listening with FC speakers and nothing else. 
Goes with  my mantra
New is not always better, quite often its not.
I bet , listening in live person, you'd get the uncanny feeling the singer is somehow standing right in front of you live on stage, 
sublimely ~~surreal~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrqv5nOjLuw