Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I have always thought  that  Bach's counterpoint was the audible geometry of heart pulse...

When i was children i liked to rock the chair in synchrony with the night....I was in Bach music without knowing it....
I really do not know how I would have survived my childhood without Bach in my life. As I am now reaching my seventh decade I have to say that Bach is my anchor and I couldn't go through a day without listening to something of his and to bolster my spirit for the day ahead and if this is the day for me to depart I can go with my heart and soul ready because of listening to one of his soul cleansers. Jim.
Well said....Bach is one of the anchor of my life also.....

My best to you....
Post removed 
rv , no matter where you go with Bach you end up on top.
My respect for you is great , we all have our reasons for what we are and are not .
You can call me whatever you want to .

If Churches have anything to to do with you not being religious I can
understand that . But I try to remember they are Hospitals for the sick not Temples for Saints .

Jim, you have written many good things on here but have topped yourself
this day .

I feel and do exactly what you do and say. I start nearly every morning with a Bach Cantata , yes for the beauty and for my love of the German language , but also what for St . Augustine said to Luther who said it to Bach .

"A Hymn well sung is a Prayer said twice ".

If I do get to Heaven , I am going to ask Jesus for a seat near you !If we pass on the same day, I ’l say " I’m with him".
                                  Albain gu brath