Clearaudio v. Teres

I like the "look" of the clearaudio champion or solution as well as the Teres 160 or 255 turntables. I'd love to hear anybody's feedback on which of these tables they like the best. Tonearm/cartridge recommendation? I'd like to buy one of these. I listen to about 75% jazz and 25% classical. Both enjoy positive general reviews. I'm curious about your opinion the sonic differences and mechanical differences between them. Thanks... Jeff
jj2468
Flyingred: Thanks. After looking at the granite, I'm not crazy about it. So, I'm glad you sent the link. I looked at the hall of fame on teres's site, http://www.teresaudio.com/fame and it shows some pretty cool ideas.

Cello, thanks for the suggestion of the 265, but the 255 is a reach for me. Do you get a bigger bang for the buck going from the 165 to 255 or from the 255 to the 265?
Jj468,
"Cello, thanks for the suggestion of the 265, but the 255 is a reach for me. Do you get a bigger bang for the buck going from the 165 to 255 or from the 255 to the 265?"
I think your question is best answered by Chris Brady. I would suspect that the bigger bump is between the 165 and the 255 (by far), but do ask Chris.
Rgds,
Larry
Hi Cello,
In response to your reply on 05-12-05. How much do the ZYX Airy 2 and Airy 3 go for? I may check this out because I have an extra armtube for the ET2 and I could swamp it out quickly for direct comparison. What is the complaince for this cartridge? The Teres seems like a very good match for the ET2/Shelter 901 but I will look into this. Thank You for the info, I really appreciate it.

Regards
Steve.
Steve,

Cello's a bit backlogged with Katrina-related issues, so I'll answer for him if I may.

New ZYX prices are always shown in Mehran's (Sorasound's) A'gon ads. The current ad is here:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgcart&1129729261

He also has demo/review cartridges available from time to time. Give him a call or email if that's of interest. As posted by many here, Mehran is one of the nicest and most honorable men you will ever meet.

Compliance for all ZYXs is 12cu in the vertical mode, 15cu lateral. I normally recommend that people order their ZYX with the optional silver weight. An ET2 might not need it however. Do you know your arm's eff. mass in the lateral plane? If it's high (> 16g) like many other air bearing arms, you might not need the optional weight. The Airys weigh about 5g without the weight, 8-9g with it.

I'd be interested in hearing about how one of the top ZYX's performs on an ET2. The Airy 2, Airy 3 and UNIverse all easily outplayed a 901 on the three pivoting arms I've compared them on, so in general I concur with Cello's recommendation.

P.S. There's one more option on these cartridges: copper coils or silver (same price). Cello and I have A/B'd copper and silver coiled UNIverses in both our systems. On ZYX's top model, the copper coils are more neutral, the silver coils are rather warmish or smoothed. We both prefer the copper but fans of the traditional Koetsu sound would probably choose the silver.
I own neither a Teres nor a Schroder. Knowing what I know about the manufacturers and sonic character of the products accused of being hyped by certain members I would buy without hesitation a Teres 265 and a Schroder 2 If my circumstances were different. I say this even after Chris Brady and I got into it in another thread. Both of these products represent a huge cost to performance ratio. So, from a non-owner of either product AND having met both of the manufacturers, to my ears these are the highest performance analog pieces for the price that I've ever heard.

I really take exception to whoever said the Schroder arms are overpriced and that if a favorable review were to happen then sales volume would increase. Knowing what I know about manufacturing, which is substantial, this doesn't make much sense. Frank is already making as many arms as he can. How could this possibly be shrewd marketing? The current backlog of orders probably weighs heavily on his mind since he is acutely aware that whenever an order is placed that the customer would love to have it right now. Additionally, having such a product made by others would only add to the cost and quality would likely suffer.

I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest here. Honestly. What I see out of both products are the simplest solutions to difficult engeneering problems. These solutions are manufactured to the highest standards humanly possible and still in reach of the average audiophile. Not that they are cheap but nothing in this hobby is cheap that performs this well.