Compare: Modwright LS 36.5 & Audio Research LS26

I'd appreciate opinions from anyone who has experience with these line stages. OK any comparisons including the Modwright and Ref 3 are also welcome.

Amps: Audio Research VM220 Mono Blocs (the Mono version of the VS110)
Wison Audio Sophias. Music: Classic Rock, Singer Songwriter, Classical, Small ensemble chamber, LOTS of vocals.

Recreation of stage & space, tube glow and midrange warmth and vocal realism, and rhythmic integrity top priorities. 80% vinyl, 20% digital.

Thanks for your assistance.
Jim

jdolgin
since you are 80% vinyl, are you aware the Modwright 36.5 does not have a phono stage in it?

I currently own the 36.5 and like it very much. It is dynaic and detailed and wonderful with vocals, but I would not consider it "tubey." If you are looking for added wamrth than this is not the piece for you. If you are looking for detail, dynamics, and soundstage then you will love it.
Rydenfan,
Yes I'm aware. I've recently added the Modwright SWP 9 phono stage to my system. I replaced the power supply tube and the 6N1p's to obtain a tad more tube midrange with stunning results. Thanks for your response.
Dan makes a separate, standalone tubed phono stage, the SWP 9.0SE, which you could use in conjunction with the 36.5 for your vinyl. I have no direct experience with that piece. I'd concur with Rydenfan regarding the 36.5 - superb resolution, linear, fast, and uncolored. The only other pre I've had that provided as black a background was a passive pre (I much prefer the Modwright for putting meat on the bones). If you are looking for a tubey sound, look elsewhere. I'd describe Dan's pre very clean and pure. Sorry, no experience with the ARC Ref 3 to compare.
Whoops, obviously I missed your response as it had not been posted as I wrote mine. Also, I missed that you were considering an LS26 and not a Ref 3 - still, no experience there either. The only ARC piece I've owned is a GNS modified LS2B, which only shared what I'd the same uncolored and neutral character with the 36.5, but that's where the resemblance ends. The ARC I owned could not hold a candle to the resolution and remarkable spatial soundstage the 36.5 renders (I forgot to mention that - it is definitely one of the 36.5 strong qualities).
If you are enjoying your Modwright phono stage then you will certainly love the 36.5. Dan voices his gear to work together. I love my 36.5 and will soon be adding the dual mono power supply upgrade :)