Comparing Wadia vs. Meitner

I believe that this represents the pinnacle of CD playback. Jerry, a fellow audiogoner was gracious enough to allow me to audition his broken-in Meitner CDSD / DCC2. In my system, the boxes were switched with mine, so they each had the same cables, power conditioning, power cords, and stand. Both were run directly into the amp without a preamp. My CD playback system includes the Wadia 27ix / 270se with the latest software and full modifications from Great Northern Sound. Also included are Elrod Statement power cords, a Hydra conditioner, and a Mana rack.

In short, I think that these are both excellent units. They are also very different in what they do. In my system, it was easy to distinguish between the two within several minutes. It probably comes down to personal preference in deciding which is best here. I’ll just simply say that I’m keeping the Wadia because I think it is a perfect match for my musical preferences, my system, and what I appreciate in music.

What I love about the Wadia is its ability to convey an (absolutely) astonishing amount of detail without being harsh or fatiguing. Not only is the melody and rhythm imaged with speed and coherence, but you can actually appreciate the musicians technique, the weight and color of the instrument(s), and the ambience of the recording venue. It simply presents a convincing image of a live event. The emotional quality is all there. You can understand what separates a great and (justly) famous professional musician from a pretty good one. Everything is properly proportioned, the soundstage is appropriate and believable, everything is audible, and the background is silent. From complex orchestral pieces and opera, to vocals, to solo instruments, I do not believe there are any weak spots. Again, it simply convinces and fools the mind into believing that you are sitting in front of the performance. I have frequented the concert halls, and I’d hate to say it but sometimes the recording is better.

I think that just about anybody could probably be happy with either of these 2 systems. Of course, curiosity makes us wonder if the grass is greener. I am just very content with where I am right now. I'd invite Jerry to make some comments when he gets a chance.

Rob
rtn1
Fmpnd, My appologies as I wasn't being sarcastic! And frankly Frank I do not appreciate such hostility in return. As I am all ears on this thread, just had a few additional questions. However since you started time to change your Depends, as the $#!+ sounds like it may be getting deep from here on?
Macallan25, please tell me a little more about the Kubala cables and what you heard with them that you liked more than the competition. I too have had the Elrods, Valhallas and Harmonix so I am very intereted in your impressions. Thanks.

PS - then again, I should just ask Audiobugged since he is the exalted golden ear and I am the one with a hearing aid - don't you think? ;-)
Fmpnd, was the Wadia portion part of this audition done prior to sending your Tenor HP-300 back in for service? :0)~
Frank (Audiobugged), am I supposed to be frightened by your reference to my amps and the tube problem? Are you so interested in my system and life that you need to let everyone know that YOU know about my amps? Gee, I had no idea my life and system or my hearing aids were so captivating to someone like you. Like I don't know about your real agenda! Maybe I am reading you wrong, but if you WEREN'T being sarcastic, then your post is even more insulting, not just to me, but to all of those who were there. If you had some reason why you disagreed with all 6 of us there, then you had every right to respond and challenge our impressions based on your own comparisons. Instead you choose a cheap shot - oh well, such is life.

I guess this is my fault though, after trying to add something of value to the post about the experiences of all of those who attended the session and admitting that it was only a simple opinion and that there are many variables involved, I then do something dumb and I actually respond to your childish post when I should have taken the high road and ignored you. So, I guess I should have expected more immature antics.

Have a nice day.
Fmpnd, Easy now you are getting too Postal over all this! I do not have the time to get into a challenge/pissing contest right now. Over the next few days when I can spend the time I will share a lengthy comparative post. So until then you try to relax, & enjoy the remainder of your day too! It's all Digital anyway!