Conrad Johnson--Best used Model

I just purchased a Pass Labs XA 30.5 & want to pair with a CJ preamp

I'm looking for experience on which model to by used or new for $1-3 k

I would love the Lush house sound with details and soundstage without being plodding

Frozen

frozentundra
Used c-j  ET 3SE .....i have a a c-j Classic 2SE and it is an awesome preamp.   It has no remote but I wanted the best sound for my money and have never been a fan of digital volume.....  although the ET 3 uses a bank of resistors that are switched via relays so it is a true analog volume,  unlike my previous pre the McCormack RLD 1 which used a Burr Brown digital volume circuit.   It was a good pre but sounded veiled compared to the Classic.   

I listened to a stock ET 3 and my 2SE and was hard pressed to tell the difference,  they both sound fantastic.   My DAC and other sources have remote volume so lack of remote didn't matter so much.   Check out Spearit Sound in Northhampton MA, great guys to deal with and are one of the bigger c-j dealers around.   They always have a good stock of demo and used.    
I have a hard time Finding a place to listen to CJ near Chicago 

hopefully you can compare " sound profile" of CJ preamp to ARC which is easy to find and listen

I find ARC new pres tube units; detailed, fast but somewhat edgy

I will 2nd the CJ preamps and can strongly suggest the guys at Spearit Sound. Ask for Jack Tozzi .