Could Class D really be that good?

I've heard statements praising modern class D amplifiers all the time but was sort of hesitant to try. Lately, one particular model caught my eye, the Fosi V3, which costs sub $100 but is praised for having refined sound like class A/B. To fulfill my curiosity, I quickly ordered one and tried it with my Burchardt S400II and Wharfedale Linton speakers. Basically, this is a neutral sounding amp but, to my surprise, the sound is clean, open, airy, with full mids, wide soundstage, good imaging/separation, with nearly null traces of the edginess, dryness, or lean sound that traditional class D amplifiers have. The background is just as quiet as my current systems. The core is the TPA 3255 chip from TI and comes with a 32v, 5A power block, which is supposed to deliver approximately 65 watts per channel (into 8 ohms). It drives the S400II/Linton without any hesitation, as well as my 130-watt-per-channel high-current Parasound A23. Very impressive.

Measurement is not everything. However, according to the lab test results, when operated under 10-60 watts, the distortion level (THD) is below 0.003%, better than a lot of high-end (price) gears. I am going to build around it for my fourth system with upgraded op-amp and LPS. I believe it will outperform my current mid-end (price) amplifiers.

I know, I know, quite a few Audiogoners' systems are above $100k, and mentioning this kind of little giant that costs a fraction could be rather embarrassing. But I thought this is just like gold digging with a lot of surprises and fun. Don't you think?

lanx0003

@atmasphere Just look at the harmonic spectra of the Purifi module. You’ll see a dominant second.

These are freq. spretrum FFT plots for THD and IMD from the published Purifi 1ET400A data sheet. For IMD, all spikes are beyond the audible freq. range so not a concern there. But, in the THD plot, where is the ’dominant’ 2nd HD? All odd- and even- order HD are almost inaudible.

@lanx0003 

I was looking at a different article. In this one we see a dominant 3rd (my memory playing up; I still seem to recall seeing a dominant 2nd) which is treated by the ear in much the same way as the second and is the only odd ordered harmonic for which this is so.

A dominant 3rd suggests cubic non-linearity; if so the circuit is inherently lower distortion than when a 2nd is dominant (which suggests a quadratic non-linearity). Our OTLs, being fully differential and balanced, have a dominant 3rd.

@atmasphere  I was there initially but just like asr said "... The third harmonic hovers around -130 dB which again, is almost at the limit of what we can measure..."   It is inaudible either at that noise floor.

I am sure that, with such a low noise floor the Purifi / Hypex class D modules provides, the sound from it is transparent bar none.  I also concur with you that the resultant sound traits hinges on how the modules is implemented.  But I don't think the sound will be sweetened approaching to tube amp unless specifically with a filter or other component.  Maybe that is why VTV adds the input tube buffer.  Just my two cents.

@lanx0003 The differences you hear in the sound of amps, if FR isn't an issue (which most of the time it isn't) is the difference in distortion of whatever amps are being compared.

There are three things that define those differences. What frequency, if any, that distortion rises (IMO/IME this aspect of amplifier distortion is the most important), the distortion spectra and finally how much distortion. There's no filter that would make a solid state amp sound like tubes; just the distortion signature. So if a class D has the same distortion signature as a good tube amp, it will sound like a  good tube amp simply on that account. 

This is because our ears use harmonics to identify any sound. So you can see that if an amp is to sound musical, its distortion signature must be as innocuous as possible. To that end, the 2nd or 3rd must be significantly higher amplitude than succeeding orders, so as to mask them. That is literally what has kept tubes in business these last 60 years.

I agree that class D is well past the point of being "mature", by at least a few generations at this point. Class D amps can be amazing, or sometimes mediocre, just like tube designs or class A etc.

Nice to see quality become available at such a low price like this amp. I'll be looking into it for a small bedroom system.